The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a classic soup that is great any time of the year. It’s velvety-smooth, creamy, cheesy, and full of perfectly cooked broccoli and carrots.
It costs about $15.63 to make 6 servings of this soup, which is just $2.60 per serving.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This soup is an easy dinner that’s a winter month staple made AND it’s made in under an hour! Sound too good to be true? It is for real! No need to hop in the car and head to Panera to grab your favorite bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. You can make it at home for half the cost with everyday ingredients.
This soup is total comfort food that hits the spot. Serve it with our 1-Hour French Bread to dip into the creamy goodness. The base is made of sauteed onions, thickened with flour and butter, and then simmered with half-and-half, broth, and veggies.
Adding in the cheese at the end gives the soup a rich and creamy texture that everyone will slurp up. Our kids love this soup, and we moms love all the extra veggies they are getting!
Make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe today, and you too will find that you love it better than Panera’s version!
What goes with broccoli cheddar soup?
This is a hearty and filling soup that makes the perfect weeknight meal. Serve it with a side salad and some French Bread for a complete dinner.
How long does Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup last?
This soup will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Why is my broccoli cheddar soup grainy?
Overcooking on high heat can lead to a grainy texture. Be sure to reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer. Additionally, do not add the cheese until after the soup has been simmering for 15-20 minutes. Adding the cheese too early can also result in a grainy texture instead of the smooth velvety texture you are going for.
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe:
STEP ONE: First, melt the butter in a large pot. Then stir in the onions and saute until soft.
STEP TWO: Next, whisk in flour and cook for one minute while whisking. Continue whisking while you pour in the half-and-half and broth, and cook until there are no more lumps.
STEP THREE: Whisk in the seasonings and add in the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a low boil.
STEP FOUR: Reduce the heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the soup has thickened. Stir occasionally, and then add in the shredded cheese.
STEP FIVE: Finally, season the soup with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- large pot
- wooden mixing spoon
- cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- cheese grater
The Flavor and Recipe Variations
- You can use cauliflower instead of broccoli or a mix of cauliflower and broccoli in this recipe.
- If you don’t have cheddar cheese, you can use Colby, Monterey Jack, or even a Mexican cheese blend.
- If you want to cut down on calories, then use 1% milk instead of half-and-half.
How much will this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $15.63
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.60
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $1.20
- 1 large yellow onion – $0.62
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth – $1.98
- 3 cups grated carrots – $1.26
- 6 cups half-and-half – $3.00
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika – $0.02
- 6 cups broccoli florets – $4.68
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder – $0.04
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard – $0.12
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese – $2.56
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How long is it good for:
Serve: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave this soup out for longer than 2 hours.
Store: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Note that the broccoli will not be a vibrant green the longer the soup sits.
Freeze: Because of the dairy products in this soup, we do not recommend freezing this soup.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
Ages 2-3: Your child can practice counting skills as they pour in six cups of broth into the pot.
Ages 4-5: Have your little one help pour the cheese in at the end. They can also season with salt and pepper before serving. Be sure to teach safety procedures when standing near a hot stove.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child how to saute the onions with your guidance. Review safety procedures when standing near a hot stove.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
More $15 recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia
- American Goulash
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
- Cindy’s Easy Sausage Gumbo
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Easy Baked Pork Chops with Apples
- Beef Chili
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
- One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Skillet Lasagna
- Taco Rice Casserole
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- large pot
- Wooden mixing spoon
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- cheese grater
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups half and half
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups grated carrots
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute while whisking constantly.
- Whisk constantly as you pour in the broth and half-and-half.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, often whisking to get out all the lumps.
- Whisk in paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add in broccoli florets and carrots, and bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until soup has thickened and the vegetables are fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper as need and serve immediately.