The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This easy Chicken Taco Rice Casserole is an easy dump-and-bake recipe that is ready in no time! It’s filled with our favorite taco rice ingredients like chicken, chunky salsa, taco seasoning, corn, black beans, sour cream, cheese, and rice!
This Taco Rice Casserole shakes up your taco Tuesday night, serves eight, and costs about $13.98 to make! That is approximately $1.74 per serving.
Taco Rice Casserole
We are shaking up Taco Tuesday with our Taco Casserole, full of rice, chicken, cheese, beans, and corn. This dish combines our love of Mexican food and casseroles. Yummy, easy, classic comfort food, all our favorites in one meal!
Our recipe uses staple ingredients that we typically have on hand. It is a perfect go-to recipe when it is 4:30 PM and you do not know what you are making for dinner. The rice cooks in the baking dish, which means fewer dishes!
You can easily customize this casserole with your favorite garnishes on top. Think tomato slices, avocados, cilantro, etc. It pleases the pickiest of eaters and makes for a perfect weeknight meal.
We love to make a double batch and freeze one for later. One mess for two meals! That is a mess and a meal we can support. That alone makes this taco rice casserole the BEST meal to make!
What You’ll Love About This Taco Rice Casserole
- Time-saving recipe: We use instant rice and pre-shredded chicken to reduce time spent in the kitchen. It is a quick and easy recipe to throw together on busy weeknights.
- Family-friendly: This savory dish of chicken, rice, cheese, and mild salsa appeals to kids and adults alike.
- Serves a crowd: Taco rice casserole is a simple dish to take to a family gathering or potluck. It easily serves a crowd, and everyone loves it.
- Customizable: Add your family’s favorite ingredients to customize this dish. Ideas include jalapenos, hot salsa, black olives, etc.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 3 cups shredded chicken – $2.99
- 2 cups grated Mexican cheese – $2.49
- 1 cup sour cream – $1.15
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning – $0.30
- 1 can black beans – $0.78
- 2 cups instant rice – $1.40
- 1 cup frozen corn – $0.88
- 2 cups salsa – $3.99
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in July 2023.
How To Make Taco Rice Casserole
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, heat the oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, prepare a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, rice, 1 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese, salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, black beans, and corn. Stir these ingredients together.
- Then, sprinkle the mixture into the prepared pan with the remaining cheese. Be sure to cover tightly with foil before baking for 30 minutes.
- Finally, allow to cool for five minutes before scooping and serving with garnishes of your choice.
Taco Rice Casserole Recipe Variations and Substitutions
Substitute the protein for another option, such as turkey or ground beef. You may also leave the cheese out to have a dairy-free option.You can also use canned chicken instead of our shredded chicken.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave this Chicken Taco Rice Casserole out for longer than 2 hours. STORE:STORE: Store the casserole in an airtight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 3 to 4 days.
FREEZE: Prepare the casserole, but do not bake it. Double-wrap the dish tightly with foil and place it in the freezer. It will stay fresh in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Taco Rice Casserole Recipe FAQs
There is no need to cook the rice before putting it into your casserole dish. That is the beauty of this recipe. You can add the rice straight into the baking pan with the other ingredients, which will cook while you bake it. This process will produce a bowl of fluffier and more flavorful rice with half the effort!
A traditional casserole in the United States uses three main components: meat, veggies, and starch. The meat can be items such as chicken, turkey, or ground beef. The starch is typically items such as potato, pasta, or rice. Our casserole recipe calls for the main components: chicken, corn, beans, and rice.
Yes, you will cook the chicken before placing the chicken in the casserole dish. Use our shredded chicken recipe as a quick way to have cooked chicken for your casserole.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Let them help stir all of the ingredients together in the bowl. They can practice using their muscles!
Ages 4-5: Have your kiddo practice math skills while counting and measuring out the ingredients to pour into the bowl.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let your child practice making on their own while you are there to help guide them.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
- We prefer to buy our chicken in bulk, and then we can pull it out of the freezer as needed for recipes like this one.
More $15 or Less Recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia
- American Goulash
- Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
- Cindy’s Easy Sausage Gumbo
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Easy Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Healthy Greek Mason Jar Salads
- Homemade Chicken Fingers
Taco Rice Casserole
- measuring cups
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- Measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
TACO RICE CASSEROLE:
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups instant rice uncooked
- 2 cups grated Mexican cheese divided
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cups sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 15 ounce canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla strips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, rice, 1 1/2 cup grated Mexican cheese, salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, black beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and serve with garnishes.