Get this easy, delicious, and healthy Oven Baked Salmon recipe on your table in just 20 minutes! It costs $16.45 to make 8 servings, which is just $2.06 per serving!
Oven Baked Salmon
It’s the new year, and many of us have made a New Year’s resolution to eat healthier. How are you doing with it? Are you meeting your goals?
It is hard to eat healthy with a busy family life. We are on the go all the time. It is sometimes just easier to grab a pizza and throw a couple of carrots at the kids on the way out the door and call it good! We totally get it.
But our recipe for Baked Salmon we are sharing with you today is the best because it is going to change all of that! You can now eat healthily and have a few minutes to spare before heading out the door.
Oven-Baked Salmon is super quick and easy to make. Only a few steps to a healthy meal on your table. This recipe is baked in the oven, which results in a Salmon that is so moist and flaky you will savor every bite.
When I first made this for my family, my little 7-year-old helped me make it. He was so excited to try it after helping make it. He took one bite and exclaimed, “This is the BEST baked salmon ever!”
That was the best compliment ever! It makes my heart happy, knowing I am teaching my kids how to cook and how to have healthy eating habits.
If you are looking for a healthy meal that is not overwhelming to make or overwhelming on your budget, then this Baked Salmon recipe is for you!
What temp should Salmon be cooked?
145 degrees Fahrenheit is the ideal temperature that Salmon should be cooked to. The USDA recommends measuring it at the thickest part of the fillet to have an accurate reading of the temperature.
How do you tell when Salmon is done cooking?
If the Salmon flakes easily with a fork, then it is done! Salmon goes from a red or raw look to pink as you cook it. You’ll typically want to check it for doneness after about 6-8 minutes of cooking it.
What veggies go with Salmon?
Probably the most popular veggie to be served with baked Salmon is asparagus. However, some squash and zucchini are super delicious too. String beans are also super tasty. You really can’t go wrong with any veggie you choose to serve, but those are my favorites.
How to Make Easy Baked Salmon Recipe:
- First, preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place the baking sheet in the oven. Then make 4-5 shallow cuts about 1 inch apart along each piece of salmon’s skin side without cutting into the flesh.
- Next, pat salmon dry with paper towels and then rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Now reduce the oven to 275 degrees and remove the baking sheet. Then place salmon skin side down on the baking sheet.
- Finally, roast until the thickest part of fillets registers 125 degrees, about 9-13 minutes. Serve on a platter with lemon wedges.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them pat dry the salmon with a paper towel and rub olive oil on it.
- Ages 4-5: Let them pat dry the salmon with a paper towel, rub olive oil on it, and help season it with salt and pepper. Rember to teach them why they need to wash their hands after touching raw meat.
- Ages 6-8: Teaching proper knife safety while helping them cut slits into the salmon.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Shred the salmon and add it to a spinach salad the next day
- Add some cajun seasoning to change up the flavor a bit
What to Serve with Easy Oven Baked Salmon:
More Healthy Recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia
- Crock Pot Greek Yogurt
- Dry Roasted Chickpeas
- Easy Chana Masala
- Green Smoothie
- Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes
- Homemade Granola
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
- Zucchini Taco Boats
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You can keep the baked salmon at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze the baked salmon for up to 4 months. Just follow the steps below.
- Cool the salmon before placing it in freezer-safe Ziploc bags.
- Freeze for up to 4 months.
- Thaw the salmon in the refrigerator overnight. You can also keep it in the Ziploc bag and immerse it in a bowl of cold water to thaw.
- TO REHEAT: Place the salmon on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet, and cover the baking sheet with foil. Place the baking sheet in a 275 degree F oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees F.
How much will this Easy Baked Salmon cost:
RECIPE COST: $16.45
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.06
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) skin-on center-cut salmon fillets – $15.68
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil – $0.28
- Salt and pepper – $0.01
- 1 lemon – $0.48
- rimmed baking sheet
- paring knife
Easy Oven Baked Salmon
- rimmed baking sheet
- paring knife
- 3 pounds skin-on center-cut salmon fillets (you'll probably need 2 fillets weighing 1.5 pounds each) both fillets sliced crosswise into 4 equal pieces for a total of 8 pieces
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon cut into 8 wedges
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Make 4 or 5 shallow cuts about 1 inch apart along the skin side of each piece of salmon, being careful not to cut into the flesh.
- Pat salmon dry with paper towels, rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil each, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce oven to 275 degrees and remove the baking sheet.
- Place salmon skin-side down on the baking sheet. Roast until the thickest part of fillets registers 125 degrees, 9 to 13 minutes.
- Transfer salmon to platter. Serve with lemon wedges.