The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Easy Garlic Bread recipe goes great with soups, pasta dishes, and casseroles. The best part is that it’s done in less than 10 minutes.
It costs approximately $1.98 to make this Garlic Bread. The recipe makes six servings for about $0.33 per serving.
You can use a store-bought loaf of French Bread or our 1-Hour French Bread to make this Garlic Bread. We love serving this Garlic Bread alongside our Cheesy Baked Spaghetti, Instant Pot Lasagna, and Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo.
Garlic bread, mmmm! That’s the best way to describe this garlic bread. Have you ever noticed when you buy it pre-made in the store, while it’s convenient, it’s greasy when you bake it? Of course, you can eat it, and it’s ok, but it is not nearly as good as this quick and easy garlic bread.
And believe it or not but this easy homemade garlic bread recipe is also cheaper than buying it pre-made at the store. So, you’re telling me it tastes better and is less expensive?! Sign me up. This is life-changing people! Who knew an easy garlic French bread could change your life, right?!
Each bite offers a delightful combination of crispy edges and a soft, buttery center with a hint of savory garlic. The aromatic scent that fills the kitchen as it bakes makes everyone’s mouths water.
Whether serving as a side for pasta, soup, or a standalone snack, this budget-friendly garlic bread will surely please the whole family. It’s a simple yet satisfying addition to any meal, and the entire family can enjoy the tasty results without breaking the bank.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- ½ loaf French Bread – $1.47
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter – $0.42
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.04
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano – $0.05
Recipe Cost When You Use Our 1-Hour French Bread Recipe: $2.10
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in April 2023.
How To Make Garlic Bread
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven and place the bread, cut side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Next, melt the butter in the microwave and stir in garlic powder and dried oregano.
- Then, brush the butter mixture over the bread and bake for 4-6 minutes.
- Finally, slice and serve!
Easy Garlic Bread Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of dried oregano, you can use dried parsley or basil.
- Add 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese over the butter mixture if you want cheesy garlic bread.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: The bread will stay at room temperature for up to 4 hours before it starts to stale.
STORE: Keep leftovers wrapped in foil in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
FREEZE: You can freeze this recipe, either baked or unbaked, for up to 2 months. You’ll want to defrost the bread before baking or reheating in the oven.
We recommend using garlic cloves over garlic powder for the best-tasting results with this recipe. However, if that is all you have, you would want to use about 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder per garlic clove.
Typically, 350 degrees is the best temperature to heat your bread in your oven. This will ensure that the edges of the bread don’t burn before the rest of the bread is heated through. We like to wrap the bread in foil and place it on the oven rack for 6-10 minutes or until the bread is warmed.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Have them mix the butter and garlic mixture, and have them help you brush the butter mixture onto the bread with a pastry brush.
Ages 4-5: Show them how to safely cut a piece of foil from the roll and have them line the baking sheet with foil. Have them help you brush the butter and garlic mixture over the bread.
Ages 6-8: Show them how to identify a microwave-safe bowl (have them look for the stamp on the bottom of the bowl). Teach them safe knife skills and have them cut three tablespoons of butter from the stick. Finally, have them measure the garlic powder and oregano.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
If you plan on making garlic bread regularly, consider buying ingredients like minced garlic, butter, and dried herbs in bulk. This can help you save money in the long run.
Main Dish Ideas to Serve with Garlic Bread:
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Christmas Beef Chuck Roast
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Italian Harvest Soup
- One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice
- Skillet Lasagna
- Sausage Gumbo
- Tomato Chicken Alfredo
- One Pot Cajun Pasta
Easy Garlic Bread
- baking sheet
- small microwave-safe bowl
- pastry brush
- ½ loaf French bread cut lengthwise
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 475℉.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
PREP GARLIC BREAD:
- Place the French bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter for 20-30 seconds or until completely melted.
- Whisk in garlic powder and oregano.
- Brush the butter mixture all over the cut surface of the French bread.
BAKE GARLIC BREAD:
- Bake for 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown along the edges of the bread.
- Cool for 1 minute, and then slice and serve.