This Cheese Ball recipe is perfect for any occasion, and it’s so easy to make. Everyone is going to want some of this rich and creamy homemade cheese ball recipe.
$7.22 is about what it costs to make this Cheese Ball Recipe, which serves twenty-four. That works out to cost approximately $0.30 per serving.
Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheese Balls are a must at any holiday party! Serve it on a tray with veggies and crackers while doing the finishing touches on the Thanksgiving Turkey.
You can also wrap them up to deliver to neighbors during the Christmas season. Serve it as one of the yummy appetizers during a New Year’s Eve Party. You can even serve this to snack on the big game day or any other get-together throughout the year.
Basically, we are saying there is always an excuse to make this delicious party appetizer that comes together in just ten minutes. The creamy texture of the cheese ball, rich in cheesy and cream cheese flavor with a hint of spice covered in a nutty coating, feeds a crowd and will be the party favorite every time.
You can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Make it the day before, and we think it tastes even better the next day after the flavors have truly had a chance to marry together overnight.
Trust us when we say you do not want to miss out on making and serving this Classic Cheese Ball this year. Still not sure? Try it and find out!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 16 ounces cream cheese – $3.18
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese – $2.22
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce – $0.02
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder – $0.01
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley – $0.16
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder – $0.01
- 1/2 cup pecans – $1.62
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How to make this Cheese Ball Recipe
- First, make the cheese mixture. Add all of the cheese mixture ingredients to a bowl.
- Then, mix the ingredients and form them into a ball.
- Next, make the cheese ball coating. Then, roll the cheese ball into the coating.
- Finally, wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and chill until it is firm. Once ready, serve the cheese ball with crackers and veggies.
***For complete recipe instructions and a recipe video, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of shredded cheddar cheese, you can use any variety of shreddable cheese that you would like.
- Sometimes we like to add bacon and wither fresh chives or green onion to the cheese ball.
Serve: The cheese ball can stay at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours.
Store: Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freeze: Freeze for 1-3 months if wrapped in aluminum foil.
Defrost: Defrost at room temperature for 2-4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Our cheese balls are a combination of cream cheese, cheese, and a few spices, including Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, parsley, and garlic powder. The ball is then coated in nuts. We use pecans in this recipe.
Traditionally, crackers and veggies are found on a cheese ball platter. However, you can also serve pretzels, pita chips, apple slices, and oven-roasted potato wedges as delicious options.
A cheese ball will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to one week. Be sure to store it in an airtight container to ensure it stays fresh.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Have your little one help you mix the cheese mixture. They can help pour in the ingredients.
Ages 4-5: Teach your child how to measure out the ingredients for the cheese mixture. They can also help form the ball.
Ages 6-8: Let your kiddo form the cheese mixture into a ball. They can also roll the ball into the coating mixture.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
For less than $10, you can serve an appetizer that will feed a crowd. That makes this a great option to take to a party or family gathering without spending a fortune.
More Appetizer recipes:
- Vanilla Candied Bacon
- Chex Party Mix
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Easy Taco Pizza
- Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy Velveeta Queso Blanco Dip
Classic Cheese Ball
- large bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- measuring cup
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 8 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley divided
- ½ cup finely chopped Pecans
MAKE CHEESE MIXTURE:
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese. Mix with a spatula until smooth.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon fresh parsley.
- Shape the cheese mixture into a ball.
MAKE CHEESE BALL COATING:
- In a medium bowl, mix parsley and chopped pecans.
- Roll the cheese ball into the coating. Use your hands to make sure that the ball is evenly coated in the coating.
CHILL AND SERVE:
- Wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 1-2 hours. Serve with crackers and veggies.