The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos are crave-worthy and great for busy mornings. They’re freezer-friendly and filled with sausage, hash browns, peppers, eggs, and cheese.
This recipe makes eight servings for just $0.90 per serving. Therefore, the entire recipe costs just $7.16 to make.
Breakfast is the most important part of the day! Two of our most popular breakfast recipes include this Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie and this delicious Eggs Benedict Braid.
Put away the cereal bowls and get ready for a fantastic, easy, filling, and delicious breakfast. These burritos are stuffed full of all your favorite breakfast ingredients.
Don’t you think you have time to make these? Good news! You can make them ahead of time and freeze them. Then pull them out and warm them up that morning. No need to skip breakfast ever again.
We love to meal prep for breakfast. With recipes like these breakfast burritos, our Easy Chia Seed Pudding, our Overnight French Toast Bake, and our Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes, our mornings tend to go a little more smoothly as we are getting kids out the door to breakfast.
But who are we kidding? Even when we are not rushing out the door, we love having breakfast already made. So these Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos are perfect for any day of the week, budget, and phase of life.
These also make a great brinner, you know, breakfast for dinner. Serve them with a side of Spanish Rice and Refried Beans, and you have a fantastic weeknight meal everyone will love!
So whether you make these Breakfast Burritos freeze for later, or serve them the day of, they will be a hit no matter how you serve them!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage – $2.48
- 1 ½ cups frozen hash browns – $0.64
- ¼ cup yellow onions – $0.15
- ¼ cup bell pepper – $0.19
- 8 large eggs – $0.80
- 1 cup cheddar cheese – $0.64
- 1 cup Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese – $0.62
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas – $1.36
To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How To Make Breakfast Burritos
- First, cook the burrito fillings, then remove them from the heat.
- Next, heat each tortilla in the microwave.
- Spoon the filling onto the bottom 1/3 of each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold the burrito and serve or freeze.
***For complete recipe instructions and a video, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of breakfast sausage, you can use sausage patties, bacon, chorizo, pinto beans, or black beans.
- Anything goes in these burritos. Instead of the cubed potatoes, you can use tater tots, shredded potatoes, and even french fries!
- Sometimes we add diced green chiles to the burritos for an extra flavor kick.
Serve: You can keep these breakfast burritos out for about two hours before they need to be refrigerated to frozen.
Store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze: Wrap the burritos in foil or parchment paper. Add to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
To Reheat: Place one burrito on a microwave-safe plate or dish and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Let rest for 30 seconds before eating.
When you stuff a burrito full of breakfast ingredients and veggies and fold it up, it is officially a breakfast burrito. A traditional burrito is typically filled with various combinations of meats, rice, and beans. So while it is the same concept, the ingredients differ, creating a different menu option.
The number of calories in one breakfast burrito may vary depending on if you order it at a restaurant or make it yourself. It can even vary when you make it yourself, as you can alter the ingredients and amount in each burrito. According to our recipe, there are 499 in each burrito as it is written.
One tip is to make sure you do not overcook the eggs. When eggs are overcooked, they become watery, adding moisture to your burrito and making it soggy. Vegetables can also release water, so be sure to saute them first to help avoid this.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Have your little one help spoon the burrito filling onto the tortillas.
Ages 4-5: Show your child how to fold the tortillas. You can also help them wrap the finished breakfast burritos in foil for freezing.
Ages 6-8: Teaching proper stove-top safety, your child, can help cook the burrito filling.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Meal prepping and putting ready-made food in your freezer is a great budgeting tip. It will save you from eating out when you don’t feel like cooking or have enough time.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Chocolate Glazed Biscuit Donuts
- Easy Chia Pudding
- Homemade Granola
- French Toast with Blueberry Syrup
- Eggs Benedict Breakfast Braid
- Overnight French Toast
- Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes
- Green Smoothie
- Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- large skillet
- Wooden mixing spoon
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- Measuring spoons
- small mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 ½ cup frozen cubed hash browns
- ¼ cup yellow onion finely diced
- ¼ cup green or red bell pepper or a combination, finely diced
- 8 large eggs lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican or Monterey jack cheese
- 8 10-inch flour tortillas
FOR SERVING: (all optional)
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- chopped green onions
COOK BURRITO FILLINGS:
- Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Cook hash browns until golden brown, then remove them from the pan onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add sausage, onion, and peppers to the skillet and cook until no pink remains. Drain off the grease.
- Add the hash browns back to the pan.
- Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the skillet and cook until they are set, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the burrito filling from the heat.
- Heat each tortilla in the microwave for 8-10 seconds to make it easier to roll.
- Spoon the filling onto the bottom ⅓ of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold the sides and then the ends over and roll up the burrito as tightly as possible.
- Serve immediately or freeze the burritos. (See freezing and reheating instructions in the notes below).
Wrap the burritos in foil or parchment paper. Add to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Place 1 burrito on a microwave-safe plate or dish and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Let rest for 30 seconds before eating.
Thanks for this easy delicious breakfast on the go! I love anything make ahead and love how my kids can grab their healthy breakfast on busy mornings!
This is such a great idea. Thanks! My son will love this for breakfast. Looks so delicious and it’s quite healthy and nutritious too. Perfect.
Was looking for a new breakfast burrito recipe to try and these were very good! Will make again!
Jess Jankowski says
SO glad you found our recipe! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!