The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
You can make our copycat version of a Dairy Queen ice cream cake for a third of the cost. It is an affordable way to celebrate any occasion.
This Oreo Ice Cream Cake serves 16 and costs approximately $13.92 to make; that’s about $0.87 per serving!
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This ice cream cake is the perfect solution for summertime birthdays and celebrations. Or any time of the year if you ask us! Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a simple and fabulous dessert that the kids can help make on their own.
The layers of crushed Oreos, cookies and cream ice cream, and hot fudge with a whipped topping take a boring bowl of ice cream to the next level! These simple four ingredients come together in a no-bake dessert that will leave your family and guests thinking you spent hours and hours making the cake.
There’s no need to go to Dairy Queen when you can make this copycat ice cream cake instead without spending a fortune.
Oreo Cookie Ice Cream Cake: Ingredients & Estimated Cost
- 2 (1.5 quarts) Cookies and Cream Ice Cream – $5.94
- 1 (12.8 oz) Hershey’s Hot Fudge Sauce – $1.98
- 30 Oreo Cookies – $2.12
- 8 oz tub Cool Whip – $1.84
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in June 2022.
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Budget Tips
Making this Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a fabulous way to save on your food budget when serving a crowd. An ice cream cake from Dairy Queen costs about $31.00. You can spend a lot less when making it yourself while still having the same great taste we all love.
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Soften the ice cream enough so you can spread it. Then, scoop all the ice cream into a 9×13 dish, spreading it evenly in the pan.
- Layer put 3/4 of Oreo cookie crumbs over the ice cream layer. After spreading the cookie crumbs, pour hot fudge over the cookies.
- Spread the next container of ice cream over the cookie layer. Spread it carefully.
- Spread the cool whip over the ice cream.
- Top with remaining Oreo cookie crumbs. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for at least four hours.
- Slice and serve. Serve with more hot fudge and maraschino cherries.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Ice Cream Oreo Cake: Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Your kiddo will love helping spread the ice cream with a rubber spatula. They will get a kick out of doing this!
Ages 4-5: Let your child help smash up the Oreos into pieces. Breaking something has never been so fun!
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let your kiddo try on their own while you watch over their shoulder. It is just that easy!
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Ice Cream Oreo Cake Recipe Variations & Substitutions
You can use any flavor of ice cream you would like for this cake. Our kids want to pick two flavors for the layers when making this for their birthday cake. Some of our favorites to use are
- mint chocolate chip
- chocolate chip cookie dough
Pro Tip: Try different flavors of your favorite ice creams! Keep the hot fudge and crushed Oreo layers, and tell us your favorite ice cream combos. One of ours is Blue Bell Vanilla and Peanut Butter Moose tracks!
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake Storage Tips
Serve: You’ll need to place the leftover cake in the freezer within 30 minutes of slicing and serving.
Store and Freeze: This Oreo ice cream cake will keep in the freezer for up to one month, but we doubt it will last that long!
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Oreo FAQs
There are a few different options for softening your ice cream, depending on your available time. You can place the ice cream directly from the freezer into the fridge and leave it for about 20-30 minutes before using it.
Or set it on your counter for about 10-15 minutes. Do not forget about it, or you will be left with a liquid mess!
If you are short on time, you can set the ice cream container in the microwave and cook it at 30% power for 30 seconds.
Our recipe is made with four simple ingredients. We use ice cream, hot fudge, Cool Whip, and Oreo Cookies. The cookies are crushed, and the ingredients are layered into a baking dish before freezing. The result is a delicious frozen treat everyone loves.
After letting your ice cream cake rest on the counter at room temperature for a few minutes to thaw, grab a knife and a class of hot water. Dip your knife in hot water and wipe off the excess water.
You will be amazed at how easily you can slice through the frozen cake. Always dip your knife back into the hot water and wipe with each new slice.
More No-Bake Desserts
- Chocolate Glazed Biscuit Donuts
- Patriotic Jello Parfait
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bon Bons
- No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
- Easy Cake Pops – Donut Hole Cake Pops
- No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Patriotic Oreo Cream Cheese Truffles
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Homemade Frozen Yogurt
- No-Bake Banana Split Cake
Ice Cream Cake Recipe (Oreo)
- ice cream scoop
- 9×13 pan
- rubber spatula
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 quarts Cookies and Cream ice cream
- 12.8 oz jar Hershey’s Hot Fudge Sauce
- 30 OREO Cookies crushed with a few big chunks
- 8 oz tub cool whip
- hot fudge
- Maraschino cherries
- chocolate sprinkles
SOFTEN ICE CREAM:
- Take the ice cream out to soften on the counter so that it’s soft enough to spread but not melted to a liquid.
- Use a 9×13 dish and scoop the entire contents of one of the ½ gallon containers in the dish. Try to spread ice cream so that it is spread somewhat evenly in the pan.
- Put ¾ of OREO cookie crumbs over ice cream.
- Pour entire contents of warm Hot fudge over the cookie layer.
- Spread the next container of ice cream over the cookie layer. Try to spread this layer somewhat smoothly, too.
- Spread the cool whip over the ice cream.
- Top with remaining OREO cookie crumbs.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Garnish with more hot fudge, Maraschino cherries, and sprinkles (all optional). Slice and serve.