It doesn’t get any easier than this One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice recipe. It serves six and costs $11.16 to make, that’s just $1.86 per serving!
I recently had a couple of extra kids at my house for several days. Going from 6 to 8 kids in your home does not seem like a big jump. But when you add in after school activities, homework, making school lunches, bath time, and on top of that dinner time, it is a lot on any normal day no matter how many kids you have!
To say things were a little hectic on this one particular day is an understatement. I had eight kids all needing something right at the same time. You know the drill, someone needs help with a homework question, someone is trying to get a snack right before dinner time, someone needs a band-aid, etc… Sound familiar?
So I was right in the thick of it, and dinnertime was approaching. I needed a simple recipe that would not leave me with a lot of dishes because, honestly, I just do not have time for that.
That’s where this Chicken Broccoli Rice recipe comes into the equation. You guys, it only takes 25 minutes to put together, and you only use one pan! How awesome is that? It uses simple ingredients and is super easy to make.
Here’s the other amazing thing. I was making this Chicken Broccoli and Rice for dinner while helping two kids with homework at the same time! I was not even stressed about it either! It seems almost too good to be true.
You will have to try it for yourself to see just how easy it is. Be sure to pick a night that is super busy with a bunch of kids running around needing your undying attention every few minutes. You, too, will see just how life-changing this Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice meal is.
One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice Recipe Questions Answered:
Is this chicken rice and broccoli recipe healthy?
This recipe is not the most healthy out there, nor is it the most unhealthy recipe. However, you can substitute the rice for brown rice for a healthier option. If you use less cheese or none at all, that makes it extra healthy. But the cheese is the best part in my opinion!
What happens if I eat broccoli every day?
How to Make One-Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice Recipe:
- First, in a large skillet with a lid, add olive oil and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes. Next, add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, constantly stirring until chicken is almost cooked all the way through.
- Next, stir in broth and rice. Then cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Then, quickly open the lid and evenly scatter broccoli over rice mixture but do not stir it in—Cook for seven more minutes.
- Next, sprinkle the top of the broccoli with 1 cup of cheese. Then stir in broccoli and cheese into the rice until it is combined.
- Finally, top with remaining cheese and cover again. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes and then serve and enjoy your Chicken Broccoli Rice dinner!
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help add in the broccoli.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure and pour in the cheese. They can also help stir the cheese and broccoli into the chicken and rice.
- Ages 6-8: Have them measure out the rice and pour in the chicken broth.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe. Make sure you check out Jill’s daughter making this entire recipe herself in the video in the recipe card and the post!
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations:
- You can use any kind of fresh veggies that you’d like in this recipe. Besides broccoli, some of our favorites are cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers, onions, and zucchini.
More Chicken Recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Braid
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Bulk Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Greek Mason Jar Salads
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Inside Out Chicken Pot Pie
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
- One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice
- Tomato Chicken Alfredo
More $15 recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia
- American Goulash
- Cindy’s Easy Sausage Gumbo
- Easy Baked Pork Chops with Apples
- Easy Beef Chili
- Skillet Lasagna
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You can keep the finished recipe at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
- Store: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze the finished recipe, just note that the broccoli will be a little mushy when you reheat it. Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
How much will this Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice recipe cost:
RECIPE COST: $11.16
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.86
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts – $3.98
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.01
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth – $1.20
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice – $0.54
- 12-ounce bag fresh broccoli florets – $2.58
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – $2.56
One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Rice
- cutting board
- paring knife
- Large, deep, covered skillet
- Wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small, bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 12 ounce bag fresh broccoli florets cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 8 ounces
- In a large, deep skillet (at least 3 quarts) with a lid, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until chicken is almost cooked all the way through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in broth and rice. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Quickly open lid evenly scatter broccoli over rice mixture (DON’T stir it in). Cook for 7 more minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the broccoli with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir broccoli and cheese into the rice until combined.
- Top with remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Cover and let the mixture cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.