These Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls are an easy, delicious, and healthy recipe the entire family will love. It costs $12.36 to make which is just $2.06 per serving.
Raise your hand if you are in need of a healthy, easy, weeknight dinner. OK, obviously I cannot see you but I am just going to assume we are all raising our hands together because come on, who doesn’t need that? I know I sure do!
We have the perfect recipe for you! Our chicken burrito bowls are packed full of nutrition and flavor without the all of the calories.
This chicken bowl recipe will be a family favorite and one that all the kiddos can get involved in making. Here’s the other great thing about this recipe: it is super flexible!
You can set out all the toppings and let everyone pick what they want for their individual chicken bowl. How awesome is that?! See, I told you, we were giving you a healthy and easy recipe today!
What toppings will you put on? I love ALL of them! One of my kids does not add cheese or rice. Another one adds extra avocados. And another one wants extra beans. It is fantastic how easy it is to meet all of their different tastes.
What will you put on yours? Tag us on social media when you make it!
Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls Recipe Questions Answered
Are burrito bowls good for you?
Our burrito bowls are an excellent healthy option. They are filling, nutritious, and packed full of flavor without the calories. It has protein, heart-healthy fats, and veggies. Yum!
What can I season chicken with?
Our favorite seasoning for this recipe (and the quickest!) is to use Taco Seasoning. One spice and you are done!
However, if you are out of taco seasoning you can use the following simple combination of spices: garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, red pepper flakes, onion powder, cumin, and paprika.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Bowls Recipe:
- First, cook the rice as per the directions on the package.
- Next, in a large skillet add chicken, taco seasoning, and water. Then, stir often as you cook it until most of the water is evaporated.
- Then make the cilantro lime dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Next, assemble the salad by placing 1 cup of cooked rice in a bowl followed by ½ cup of chicken.
- Finally, top with desired toppings, drizzle dressing over the top and serve.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help place the dressing ingredients in the processor and show them how to turn it on to cream everything together.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help you put the topping ingredients for the rice bowls into small serving bowls.
- Ages 6-8: Let them help prepare the shredded chicken for the chicken bowls.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
Flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Instead of chicken, you can use cooked ground turkey.
- Feel free to use your favorite toppings, our recipe is just a guide.
Additional Mexican Dishes:
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You can keep these rice bowls at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Store: Store all of the rice bowl components separately in airtight containers. The dressing will keep for up to 1 week, everything else up to 3 days.
- Freeze: We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
How much will these Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls cost:
RECIPE COST: $12.36
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.06
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 3 cups rice (white or brown) – $1.17
- 3 cups shredded chicken – $3.12
- 3 Tablespoon taco seasoning – $0.21
- ½ cup water – $0.00
- 14 oz can black beans – $0.86
- 2 cups frozen corn – $1.00
- 2 Roma tomatoes – $0.52
- 2 large avocados – $1.36
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – $1.28
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce – $0.32
- ¼ bag tortilla chips, optional – $0.49
CILANTRO LIME DRESSING:
- 1 bunch cilantro – $0.48
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.10
- ½ cup Greek yogurt – $0.58
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice – $0.21
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil – $0.65
Mexican Chicken Rice Bowl
- large skillet
- food processor or blender
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- 3 cups rice white or brown
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed and drained
- 2 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 large avocados chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce chopped
- ¼ bag tortilla chips optional
CILANTRO LIME DRESSING:
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves cut off
- 2 large garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the rice as per the package instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add chicken, taco seasoning, and water. Cook, stirring often until most of the water is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
MAKE CILANTRO LIME DRESSING:
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or to a blender canister. Process or blend until mixture is smooth, creamy, and combined about 1 minute.
- Place 1 cup of cooked rice in a bowl followed by ½ cup of chicken. Top with toppings of your choice. Our favorites are black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, shredded cheese, lettuce, and a couple of tortilla chips for crunch.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.