Zucchini Taco Boats are a satisfying and healthy main dish that has only 292 calories per serving! The recipe serves six and costs $9.94 to make. That’s just $1.66 per serving!
Do you love Taco Tuesdays but do not like the calories that come with Taco Tuesday? We have the perfect solution for you, Zucchini Taco Boats. They give you the same great taste you are craving on Taco Tuesday without all those annoying calories!
We got our inspiration for these Zucchini Taco Boats from our Italian Zucchini Boat recipe. They are a hit with our kids, and we decided to make different recipe variations.
These zucchini boats get stuffed with all your favorite taco toppings like black beans, corn, ground turkey, Mexican cheese, tomatoes, and avocado.
This recipe is such a fun twist on your typical Taco Tuesday night. These stuffed Zucchini Taco Boats are the perfect healthy option for a great weeknight meal.
Zucchini Taco Boats Recipe Questions Answered:
How do you scoop out zucchini?
Can you freeze zucchini boats?
DO YOU EAT THE SKIN ON ZUCCHINI BOATS?
Yes and no. How’s that for an answer? LOL. It just depends on how the skin has been prepared. If the skin has been waxed, you want to peel the skin first. However, if the skin has not been waxed, then you can leave the skin on before baking.
How to Make Zucchini Taco Boats Recipe:
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and then line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking sheet and set aside.
- Next, trim the ends off the zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop and scrape the flesh out of the zucchini halves. Then place the zucchini halves on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each with the seasonings.
- Now, make the filling by adding olive oil, onion, and ground turkey to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, cook continually stirring until meat browns. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Next, stir in taco seasoning, water, black beans, and corn. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Then using a spoon, spoon the meat mixture into the prepared zucchini boats and top with shredded cheese.
- Finally, bake for 20-22 minutes and let it cool for 5 minutes before topping with cilantro.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help sprinkle the boats with cheese.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure and make the filling for the zucchini boats. They can also help sprinkle the cooked boats with desired toppings.
- Ages 6-8: Let them help scoop out the flesh of the zucchini halves and cook the ground turkey mixture.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Instead of turkey, you can use ground beef, but it will not be as healthy as turkey.
- Try our Italian Zucchini Boat recipe!
More Healthy Recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- Easy Oven Baked Salmon
- Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes
- Healthy Greek Mason Jar Salads
- Homemade Granola
- How to Make a Green Smoothie
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
How long is this good for:
- Serve: The boats will keep for about 2 hours at room temperature before they will need to be refrigerated.
- Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Freeze: We do not recommend freezing zucchini boats because upon defrosting, the zucchini will be mushy.
How much will this Taco Zucchini Boats recipe cost:
RECIPE COST: $9.94
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.66
NOTE: If you have a garden full of zucchini during the summertime, then this recipe will cost even less by using zucchini from your garden!
- 6 medium zucchini – $3.90
- salt and pepper – $0.01
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil – $0.05
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion – $0.31
- 1 pound ground turkey – $2.96
- 1 large garlic clove – $0.05
- ¼ cup taco seasoning – $0.27
- ½ cup water – $0
- 14 ounce can black beans – $0.86
- 1 cup frozen corn – $0.42
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese – $1.05
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro – $0.06
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
Zucchini Taco Boats
- rimmed baking sheet
- cutting board
- large skillet
- 6 medium zucchini rinsed and dried
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- 14 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
PREP THE OVEN AND PAN:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a standard-size baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking sheet and set aside.
PREP THE ZUCCHINI:
- Trim the ends off the zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop and scrape the flesh out of the zucchini halves.
- Place the zucchini halves on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat add olive oil, onion, and ground turkey. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the meat is browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in taco seasoning, water, black beans, and corn. Cook for 2-5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
FILL ZUCCHINI BOATS:
- Use a spoon to spoon the meat mixture into prepared zucchini boats.
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese.
BAKE AND SERVE:
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the zucchini is fork-tender and the cheese is golden.
- Allow the boats to cool for 5 minutes. Then top with chopped cilantro and serve.