How to Make a Green Smoothie is easier than you think! This recipe takes 5 minutes, serves 6, and costs just $4.75 to make. That’s only $0.80 per serving!
Can we have some real talk for a minute? I have 6 kids whom I obviously love dearly. But 2 of them are extremely picky. Like, pull my hair out kind of picky. Trying to get them to try new things or get in their veggies, fruits, proteins is nothing short of difficult. Can you relate?
Just the other night we had asparagus. My 7-year-old couldn’t get enough of it. But my 15 and 12-year-olds would barely have half a bite to even try it. Grrrrr!!!
How do you guys handle your picky eaters? Do you force them to try new things? Do you cater to their likes and dislikes? Or do you cook one meal and if they do not like it they can make something for themselves?
I find myself going back and forth on what I think the best route is. But I do have one little trick for breakfast to share with you today. All 6 kids, yes even the picky ones, will drink what we call in our family the Green Machine Smoothie, without complaint. That makes me want to do my happy dance and shout “Green Smoothies for Life!”
My 13-year-old son is very health conscious. He is the opposite of my picky eaters and is willing to try anything as long as it is healthy! That’s why this green smoothie recipe really is the best! It’s a literal miracle that all my kids love it! It is full of veggies and fruits getting them all the vitamins and nutrients that they need in one quick and easy meal.
In fact, it is so simple to make this green smoothie that my 13-year-old makes it on his own for our breakfast while I get the little kids ready. He will oftentimes make it for an after school snack. Score!
Make this for you and your kiddos, especially those picky eaters, and let us know in the comments if it was as much a success for you as it is for me!
Green Smoothie Questions Answered:
Are green smoothies really that good for you?
100%! Spinach, one of the main ingredients in this recipe, is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K as well as fiber and calcium. It’s also a great way to get in the daily allotment of your fruits and veggies.
What does a green smoothie do to your body?
Green smoothies can truly transform your body. The top benefits of this green smoothie include the following:
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Clears the skin
- Helps prevent heart disease and stroke
- Contains a healthy source of fat
- Acts as a detoxifying agent
What greens to use in smoothies?
My favorite and go-to is always Spinach. I also use Kale and Swiss Chard. Arugula is also an option to add to your smoothies, too.
How to Make a Green Smoothie Recipe:
- First, add the water, greens, and seeds into the blender.
- Next, blend together until all the leafy chunks are gone.
- Finally, add the fruit and blend again until smooth and enjoy!
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them put the ingredients in the blender.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure out the ingredients and put them in the blender.
- Ages 6-8: Have them help measure out the ingredients and put them in the blender. Teach them how to properly use the blender and turn it on and off to blend up the ingredients.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- I buy a big bag of spinach from Costco and stick it straight in my freezer. Then I just grab out the handfuls as I need them.
- I buy my frozen fruit from Costco as well so it is easily accessible when I am making a smoothie.
- Freeze bananas to easily add them into smoothies as needed.
- I love to add avocado into my smoothies or a handful of carrots to get a few extra veggies.
- You can use kale, swiss chard, and arugula in your smoothie instead of spinach.
What to Serve with Green Smoothie:
More Healthy Recipes:
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia
- Crock Pot Greek Yogurt
- Dry Roasted Chickpeas
- Easy Chana Masala
- Easy Oven Baked Salmon
- Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes
- Homemade Granola
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
- Zucchini Taco Boats
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You’ll need to refrigerate this smoothie within 30-60 minutes before you have a soupy mess on your hands.
- Store: You can store leftover smoothie in the blender canister for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Any longer than that and the greens in the smoothie will start to darken or turn brown.
- Freeze: You can freeze individual servings in freezer-safe bags. Just let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight and you’ll have smoothies ready even faster in the morning. Sometimes I have to put the smoothie back in the blender to break up any lingering frozen chunks.
How much will this Green Smoothie cost:
RECIPE COST: $4.75
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.80
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 2 cups almond milk – $0.64
- 1 cup of water – $0.00
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed – $0.08
- 2 handfuls spinach – $0.57
- 1 banana – $0.24
- 2.5 cups frozen pineapple – $1.58
- 2 cups frozen mango – $1.58
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes – $0.06
Green Smoothie Recipe Inspiration:
Jill took a family trip to Bali, Indonesia a couple of years back. She has raved about the delicious smoothies that she had there ever since. She has made it her mission to recreate some of the smoothies she had in Bali and today she’s sharing one of the recipes with us.
- large liquid measuring cup
- large liquid measuring cup
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 ½ cups frozen pineapple
- 2 cups frozen mango
- 1 medium banana broken into 4 pieces
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Add almond milk, water, spinach and seeds into the blender. Blend together until all the leafy chunks are gone. Add the fruit and blend again until smooth.