This is a delicious and easy beef chili recipe. It freezes well so it’s a good freezer meal option. It costs $11.46 to make and $1.91 per serving.
If you are looking for a one-stop meal everyone will enjoy you have come to the right place! This beef chili recipe is a crowd pleaser and we have the stats to prove it! Dare I brag for just a minute to let you know that this recipe won 1st place at an annual company Chili Cookoff!
If that isn’t knocking your socks off than this surely will. We tested this recipe on 3 husbands and 10 kids and guess what? 3 out 3 husbands AND 10 out of 10 kids LOVED it. They practically licked their bowls clean. Have we sold you yet?
This ground beef chili recipe is no joke! It’s a hearty meal that can be served year-round. While we love it most during those colder months and rainy/snowy nights we do make it throughout the entire year. The BEST part of this beef chili recipe is that it is AMAZING as leftovers the next day. The flavors have time to really come together and you will find yourself licking the bowl too!
Some of our kids have even been known to hug us by their own choice when hearing that we were making chili with ground beef for dinner. That’s reason enough right there to make this. Unsolicited hugs from teenage boys?! We’ll make this any time for that response!
EASY BEEF CHILI RECIPE QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
What is the best beef for chili?
We recommend using ground beef when making chili. It is the most cost-effective cut of meat and that is one of our top priorities with our recipes.
What can you add to chili?
Spices such as salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper are our favorites to add to chili. You’ll also want to add in beef, tomatoes, corn, beans, garlic, and onions.
How long should you cook chili?
After combining all of your ingredients you should cover the beef chili and let it simmer for about 45 minutes to one hour.
Do you drain meat for chili?
You do not need to drain the meat for your chili, especially if you’re using lean ground beef. It may seem weird to not drain it but the fat from the meat adds extra flavor to the chili. You can always skim it off the top at the end if you need to.
How to Make Easy Beef Chili:
First heat the oil and then add the beef, onions, garlic and saute the ingredients until browned. Then, stir in the rest of the ingredients minus the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Next, let the mixture come to a boil before letting it simmer for 45 minutes. Finally, season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help you pour in the canned food items such as the tomatoes and beans. Have them help you drain and rinse the black beans.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure out the ingredients such as the corn and various spices and add them to the pot. Teach them how to open the canned tomatoes and black beans using a can opener.
- Ages 6-8: Teaching them proper knife safety, supervise them while the chop the veggies.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- If you do not care for beans, you can easily take those out. If you want to take up the heat a notch just add in some more chili powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper if you like it spicy.
- You can also add a cup or two of leftover chili to our Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe for Chili Mac!
What to Serve with Beef Chili:
- Our 1-hour French bread is so good served with this ground beef chili recipe. Top it with some sour cream and you have yourself a delicious meal that won’t break the budget! Or serve it over some hot dogs or baked potatoes. Yum-o!
- Large Batch 1-hour Dinner Rolls
How long is this good for:
- Serve: The chili can be kept at room temperature for up to 90 minutes. After that it will need to be put into the fridge.
- Store: Leftover will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Cooled chili can be transferred to freezer Ziploc bags and frozen for up to 4 months. Thaw the chili in the fridge overnight and reheat over medium heat in a large saucepan until heated through.
How much will this Easy Beef Chili cost:
RECIPE COST: $11.46
PER SERVING COST: $1.91
To find out more on how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil – $0.06
- 2 pounds ground beef – $3.60
- 2 medium onions – $1.24
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.10
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes – $1.64
- 14.5 oz can beef broth – $0.74
- 5 Tablespoons chili powder – $0.40
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin – $0.10
- 2 teaspoon paprika – $0.06
- 1 cup frozen corn – $0.75
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar – $0.01
- 1 red bell pepper – $1.28
- 1 green bell pepper – $0.62
- 15.5 oz can black beans – $0.86
AMAZON ASSOCIATES DISCLOSURE
Easy Budget Recipes is a participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep us on budget!
Easy Beef Chili
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- heavy-bottomed pot
- Wooden spoon
FOR THE CHILI:
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 5 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 15.5 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- In a heavy-bottomed pot add oil and meat and heat over medium heat. Use the back of a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small chunks. Continue to cook until the meat is browned.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they turn opaque and turn light brown on the edges, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining chili ingredients to the pot and increase the heat to medium-high. Once the mixture comes to a low boil, reduce the heat to simmer and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, passing garnishes separately (optional).