The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Baked Pork Chops recipe is easy and tastes delicious, especially with apples baked right on top! It serves 6 people and costs just $11.60 to make.
Do you ever feel like you get into a rut with cooking and find yourself cooking the same thing over and over? If you are nodding your head, yes, saying mmm-hmm, or telling me to “preach sister,” then you have come to the right place! We have an amazing recipe for you that will really mix up your weekly routine. This is the BEST baked pork chops recipe, your entire family will love it!
This recipe for baked pork chops screams Autumn with the addition of the apples. I feel like a lot of the time pork is too dry and tough for my taste, so I tend to stay away from it. But not with this recipe.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but the baked pork chops are tender and full of flavor. The secret is in the brine. Take the 15 minutes to brine the pork first, season with seasoning salt, and add in the apples. Your taste buds will thank you for giving them this delicious recipe for baked pork chops!
Table of Contents
Baked Pork Chops with Apple Questions Answered:
What kind of apples goes with pork?
Pork tends to be bland meat so it is best to use a sweeter apple variety to enhance the pork’s flavor. The sweetest apples that hold their shape well while baking is Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, and Pinata.
Why do pork and apples go together?
When you first think of serving pork and apples together it may seem a bit strange like ordering a Peanut Butter and Jelly Hamburger (there’s a restaurant in Phoenix that totally has it on the menu!). But just like that hamburger concoction is undeniably delicious, so is this baked pork chops with sliced apple recipe!
What temp should pork chops be cooked to?
It is recommended by the National Pork Board, (did you even know there was such a thing?!) that pork chops should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
How to Make Baked Pork Chops with Apples Recipe:
- To know how to bake pork chops follow these simple instructions. First, brine the pork chops by filling a large bowl with 6 cups of warm water and then stir in salt until it is dissolved.
- Next, add in the pork chops and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Then remove the pork chops from the bowl and rinse them with cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Then to make the pork chops, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, place 6 pieces of butter on a baking sheet and place 1 pork chop on top of each butter piece.
- Then sprinkle each pork chop with seasoning salt and top with 4 slices of apple.
- Finally, bake for 10-12 minutes and let the pork rest for 3 minutes before serving.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help count and pour in the 6 cups of water and 6 tablespoons of salt to make the brine. Also, have them help you arrange 4 slices of apples on the pork chops.
- Ages 4-5: Have them pat dry the pork chops and then place them on top of each butter piece. Teach them the importance of washing hands and wiping down surfaces after preparing and handling raw meat.
- Ages 6-8: Let them place the pork chops in the water. Teach them knife safety skills and show them how to cut an apple into slices.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations:
- For flavor variations, you can make this recipe with pears, peaches, plums, or apricots.
What Side Dish to serve with Baked Pork Chops with Apples:
- 1-Hour French Bread
- Easy Garlic Bread
- Easy Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Easy Orange Cranberry Sauce
- French Bread Stuffing
- Fresh Green Beans Almondine
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Jenna’s Naughty Mashed Potatoes
- Large Batch 1-Hour Dinner Rolls
- Large Batch Chicken Pasta Salad (Pro-tip: remove the Chicken to serve as a side dish)
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You can keep these out for no longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Freeze: Because of the baked apples (when re-heated they’ll be like mush), we do not recommend freezing this recipe.
How much will this Baked Pork Chops with Apple cost:
RECIPE COST: $11.60
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.94
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 6 cups warm water – $0
- 6 Tablespoons salt – $0.18
- 2 Tablespoons butter – $0.20
- 6 thin sliced pork chops (about 2 pounds) – $9.68
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt – $0.06
- 1 large apple – $1.48
Baked Pork Chops with Apples
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- paring knife
- cutting board
PORK CHOP BRINE:
- 6 cups warm water
- 6 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter cut into 6 pieces
- 6 thin sliced pork chops about 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 large apple cut into 24 thin slices
BRINE PORK CHOPS:
- Fill a large bowl with 6 cups of warm water. Add salt and stir until most of the salt is dissolved. Add the pork chops and let them sit for 15 minutes. (Alternately, you can cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 6 hours.)
- Remove the pork chops from the bowl and rinse them with cold water, and then give them a quick pat with paper towels to dry.
MAKE PORK CHOPS:
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the 6 pieces of butter on a rimmed baking sheet, and place 1 pork chop on top of each butter piece.
- Sprinkle each pork chop with seasoning salt, and then top with 4 slices of apple.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Let the pork rest for 3 minutes, and then serve.