These easy Instant Pot Country Style Ribs are so tender that the meat falls apart. This recipe uses an inexpensive cut of meat that’s a definite crowd-pleaser.
This country style pork ribs recipe serves six and costs about $24.28 to make. That’s just $4.04 per serving.
For juicy, tender, melt-in-your-mouth ribs that are incredibly easy to make, this is the recipe for you! These country-style pork ribs are smothered in a homemade BBQ sauce and are full of flavor from the dry rub.
Cooking the ribs in the Instant Pot makes this meal extra easy to make. Make it on those busy nights driving kids around, or when you have a night, you don’t feel like heating the stove!
We love using country-style ribs because they are a cheaper cut of meat that is extra meaty! Grab some ribs at the store, and you will most likely already have everything else in your pantry that is needed to make this recipe!
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $24.28
PRICE PER SERVING: $4.04
- 5 pounds country-style ribs – $19.85
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons smoked paprika – $2.17
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder – $0.10
- 3/4 cup beef stock – $0.36
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder – $0.10
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger – $0.12
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper – $0.09
- 3/4 cup apple juice – $0.11
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar – $0.21
- 1 cup ketchup – $0.88
- 3/4 cup brown sugar – $0.36
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar – $0.02
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, prep the ribs by rubbing the dry rub into the ribs and then pouring apple juice and apple cider vinegar over the ribs.
- Let the ribs chill for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
- Next, make the BBQ sauce in a small bowl.
- Add the wire trivet to the Instant Pot and pour the beef stock into the pot.
- Place the ribs in the Instant Pot and pour the BBQ sauce over them.
- Place the lid on the pot, seal it, and set to cook on high for 40 minutes.
- Finally, let the pressure release from the Instant Pot before opening the lid and removing the ribs to serve.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- You can use our quick homemade BBQ sauce in this recipe or 1 ¾ cup bottled BBQ sauce.
Serve: You can keep the ribs at room temperature for about two hours before they need to be refrigerated.
Store: Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freeze: Once cooled, place the ribs in an airtight container or freezer-safe Ziploc bag for about two months.
Reheat: Once the Instant Pot Country Style Ribs are thawed (if previously frozen), plate them on a foil-lined baking sheet and heat in a 350 degree F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.
This usually means the ribs did not cook long enough. If they are cooked on high heat too quickly, they do not have time to get tender and soft. This is why cooking them in the Instant Pot is so great. Set it for 40 minutes, and the steam helps tenderize the meat as it cooks.
They are actually not the same cut of meat. Short ribs come from the actual rib meat of the pig. In comparison, country-style ribs come from the shoulder providing a less expensive cut of meat. This cut is most often found in the United States.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Let them help you pat dry the roast and rub the dry rub on all sides of the ribs. This is a great opportunity to teach young kids kitchen safety on handling raw meat. Teach concepts such as not eating raw meat and washing your hands really well before and after handling raw meat.
Ages 4-5: Let them help measure and stir together the dry rub ingredients. They can also help with rubbing the mix on the roast.
Ages 6-8: Let them help make and whisk the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. You can also have your child help you plan the rest of the menu. Our kiddos love to be involved in menu planning.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Country Style Ribs are a delicious cut of meat that actually comes from the shoulder area and not the ribs. It is a great alternative to purchasing a rack of ribs because it is a less expensive cut of meat.
It can cost as little as $1.50 per pound when on sale. This is a great saving!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Honey Baked Ham
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Turkey Breast
- Instant Pot Turkey Gravy
Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- mixing bowls
- Instant Pot
- measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 5 pounds country-style ribs
- 1 ½ Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Add ribs to a large bowl and sprinkle with spices. Rub the spices into the ribs.
- Pour apple juice and apple cider vinegar over the ribs.
- Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes.
MAKE BBQ SAUCE & PREP INSTANT POT:
- While ribs are chilling, whisk the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a small bowl.
- Add the wire trivet to the Instant pot, and pour beef stock into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the ribs in the Instant Pot and discard the marinade.
- Pour BBQ sauce over ribs and place lid on Instant Pot and seal.
- Pressure Cook on High for 40 minutes followed by a Natural release of 15 minutes, and then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove ribs from the Instant Pot.
- Serve with more BBQ sauce if desired.