This Instant Pot Popcorn recipe is easy to make and tastes very similar to movie theater popcorn! Three ingredients and about 20 minutes are all you need to make it!
Our budget-friendly popcorn costs about $1.07 to make. It makes eight servings for just 13¢ per serving.
Recipes in the Instant Pot are our favorite because of how easy and convenient they are. A few of our favorites include our Mac and Cheese, Meatloaf and Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, and Healthy Refried Beans.
Instant Pot Popcorn
Stop buying those microwaveable popcorn bags! You can make fresh popcorn from scratch at home that tastes so much better. Besides, it will cost you more to drive to the store and buy the popcorn than it will to make it fresh at home!
Making popcorn in the Instant Pot is beyond easy! And the good news is that it comes out crispy and not soft like it does when you make it in the microwave. Soft popcorn is the worst!
This recipe is also great because you can flavor it how you like it. We like to get the different flavored toppings for our kids to choose how they want to flavor it for a movie night. Or for an after-school snack or just a mid-day snack.
What kind of oil should I use for popcorn?
We prefer to use coconut oil to make popcorn. However, you can substitute vegetable oil in a pinch.
How do you keep popcorn crispy?
To keep the popcorn fresh and crispy, store it in an airtight container.
How to make Popcorn in the Instant Pot:
STEP ONE: First, set the Instant Pot to the “saute” setting and then press the “Adjust” button until it reads “More”.
STEP TWO: Once the display reads “Hot”, add in two tablespoons of coconut oil and let it melt. Put a clear glass lid on the pot, and let the pot preheat for 1-2 minutes.
STEP THREE: Next, add in 1/2 cup popcorn kernels. Stir the kernels to coat them with oil.
STEP FOUR: Cover the Instant Pot with a clear glass lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or until 2/3 of the kernels are popped. Leave the lid on and let it sit until almost all of the kernels are popped about 1-2 minutes.
STEP FIVE: When it is done popping, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over the popcorn.
STEP SIX: Finally, repeat the steps above with the remaining coconut oil, popcorn kernels, and salt.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
Ages 2-3: Let your little one measure the popcorn kernels and pour them into the Instant Pot. They will love hearing the kernels pop!
Ages 4-5: Your child can help you put the coconut oil in the Instant Pot and melt it to prepare for the kernels. He/she can also help salt the popcorn after it has been transferred to a bowl.
Ages 6-8: Let your child try this one on his/her own. Teach them how to set the Instant Pot to “saute” and watch them make this easy snack.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
The Flavor and Recipe Variations
- Feel free to add melted butter and/or popcorn flavorings.
- If you don’t have coconut oil, you can use vegetable oil, but it won’t taste good.
How long is it good for:
Serve an Store: It’s best to eat this popcorn right after it’s popped. If you need to store it, you can keep it in an airtight container for 24 hours.
Freeze: This recipe does not freeze well; therefore, we do not recommend freezing it.
How much will this Instant Pot Popcorn recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $1.07
PRICE PER SERVING: 13¢
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil – $0.48
- 1 cup popcorn kernels – $0.58
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
More Snacks recipes:
- Check Party Mix
- Nacho Fries
- Crockpot Chile Con Queso
- Halloween Snack Mix
- Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Corn Muffins
- Grab and Go Yogurt Parfait Boxes
- Dry Roasted Chickpeas
- Monkey Bread
- Crockpot Greek Yogurt
Instant Pot Popcorn
- Instant Pot
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden mixing spoon
- measuring cup
- large bowl
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- First, set the Instant Pot to the "saute" setting and then press the "Adjust" button until it reads "More".
- Once the display reads "Hot," add two tablespoons of coconut oil and let it melt. Put a clear glass lid on the pot, and let the pot preheat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in ½ cup popcorn kernels and stir them to coat with oil.
- Cover the Instant Pot with a clear glass lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or until 2/3 of the kernels are popped. Leave the lid on and let it sit until almost all of the kernels are popped about 1-2 minutes.
- When it is done popping, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over the popcorn.
- Transfer popcorn to a large bowl and sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt over the popcorn.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining coconut oil, popcorn kernels, and salt.
ADD TOPPINGS AND SERVE:
- Add your favorite toppings like butter and seasonings. Serve.