This Homemade Lemonade Recipe is refreshing and so simple to make. This recipe serves six and costs $2.13 to make. That’s just 36¢ per serving!
Is there anything better than a nice cold glass of Homemade Lemonade on a warm summer day? I love it any time of the year, but there is something extra special about it on those sunny summer days.
Growing up, we had a lemon tree that produced like crazy. I can remember doing yard work as a family on Saturdays, except I would sneak out a little early to pick some lemons and make some fresh lemonade for everyone.
I can still taste it! In my memory, that was the best tasting lemonade, because it was so refreshing after a day of chores out in the sun. Or perhaps it tasted so good because making it got me out of chores a little bit early!
We have worked hard to recreate an easy Homemade Lemonade recipe that will bring back all those childhood memories! Our families have enjoyed all of our recipe testings to make sure we came up with the perfect combination of sweetness for you.
This recipe is the BEST Homemade Lemonade because it only has three ingredients, and no fresh lemons are needed! We opted for bottled lemon juice because not everyone has access to a lemon tree. Also, when lemons are not in season, they can get a bit pricey. Using store-bought lemon juice is an excellent option for an easy and cost-effective way to have fresh lemonade.
I have been making this since I was a kid, so I can confirm that even your kids can easily make this recipe on their own! They may also want to sell it in their lemonade stand. That is another rite of passage as a kid, right?!
Is homemade lemonade good for you?
This is a tricky question. It is full of fresh lemon juice, which is super good for you with various minerals and vitamins. But it is also full of sugar, and we all know about sugar. We don’t recommend drinking homemade lemonade all day every day, but in moderation, it is okay.
How long does homemade lemonade last?
Store it in your fridge, and it will stay fresh for 5-7 days.
How many lemons do you need for 1 cup of juice?
How to Make Homemade Lemonade Recipe:
- First, pour ingredients into a large pitcher.
- Next, mix the lemonade with a long spoon until the sugar is almost dissolved. Then adjust the sugar to your taste.
- Serve cold or over ice for the best refreshing flavor.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help you stir the lemonade with a long spoon.
- Ages 4-5: Let them pour the ingredients into the pitcher. Also, let them become the taste tester for the lemonade.
- Ages 6-8: Show them how to measure the ingredients in measuring cups. This will be an excellent opportunity to talk about fractions!
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Add in flavored Torani syrups such as Cherry, Strawberry, or Peach.
- You can also make frozen lemonade by blending lemonade and ice together. Use a ratio of 2:1, so 2 cups of lemonade for every 1 cup of ice.
What Main Dish to serve with Homemade Lemonade:
- 1 Hour Pepperoni Pizza
- 15-Minute Skillet Tilapia with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- American Goulash
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo
- Easy Baked Pork Chops with Apples
- French Bread Pizza
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Teriyaki
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Machaca Burritos
- Meatball Subs
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bowls
- One Pan Cheesy Broccoli Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Anything goes with lemonade!
How long is this good for:
- Serve: It’s best to serve lemonade chilled or over ice.
- Store: Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to store.
- Freeze: You can freeze lemonade. You can freeze it in freezer-safe zipper top bags or even Tupperware or airtight glass containers.
How much will this Homemade Lemonade cost:
RECIPE COST: $2.13
PRICE PER SERVING:
- 1 ⅔ cup Lemon Juice – $1.78
- 6 Cups Water – $0.00
- 1 1/4- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar – $0.35
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- Large Pitcher
- measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Wooden mixing spoon
- 1 ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 1 ¼ - ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 cups water
- Pour the lemon juice and 1 ¼ cup of sugar into a large pitcher.
- Pour in the water.
- Stir until the sugar is almost dissolved. Add more sugar to taste. Serve cold or over ice for the best flavor.