A Machaca Burrito is made with beef, onions, peppers, garlic, lime juice, and seasonings. This recipe serves 10 and costs $22.40 to make. That’s just $2.24 per serving!
Do you need another main dish to add to your meal rotation that you can put in your slow cooker so you can set it and forget it? Who doesn’t need another meal like that is a better question!
Machaca Burrito is the perfect meal to add to your monthly rotation so be sure to pin the recipe because we know you will want to use it again and again.
This is such a versatile recipe to have on hand. Machaca meat is good served on or in almost anything: salads, tacos, quesadillas, you name it!
This Machaca recipe will really step up your Mexican recipe repertoire. You cook it in the slow cooker all day, go about your business, come home, and then dinner is ready in a matter of minutes.
The toughest thing you will have to do is decide how to eat it. We love making burritos out of the meat. But you could serve it over chips with your favorite toppings for nachos. Or serve it in hard taco shells for taco night. It is also fabulous served over some fresh greens for a tasty salad.
Machaca Burrito Recipe Questions Answered:
What is in Machaca?
What does Machaca taste like?
Does Machaca need to be refrigerated?
How to Make Machaca Burrito Recipe:
- First, place the chuck roast in the bottom of a slow cooker insert. Layer the onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves on top. Then pour the Rotel and green chiles on top.
- Next, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low for 7-8 hours.
- Finally, shred the meat using two forks. Place the meat in tortillas, top with desired toppings, and roll into burritos.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help layer the ingredients on top of the roast in the crockpot.
- Ages 4-5: Let them measure out the spices, soy sauce, and lime juice and stir them together. Then, assist them in pouring the mixture into the crockpot.
- Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let them help do most of the recipe by themselves with you there to guide them. Teach them how to turn on and set the crockpot.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
More Mexican Dinner Ideas:
- Instead of burritos you can the beef to make tacos, taco salad, and quesadillas.
More +$15 recipes:
How long is this good for:
- Serve: You can keep the meat at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
- Store: Leftover will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Cooked, shredded meat will freeze for up to 3 months. You can also assemble the burritos (minus shredded lettuce), wrap them in foil, and freeze for up to 4 months.
How much will this Machaca Burrito recipe cost:
RECIPE COST: $22.40
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.24
- 3-4 pound chuck roast – $16.41
- 1 medium yellow onion – $0.62
- ½ red bell pepper – $0.64
- 3 large garlic cloves – $0.15
- 1 can Rotel with green chiles – $0.98
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles – $0.98
- ¼ cup lime juice – $0.26
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce – $0.04
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano – $0.02
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.01
- 10 burrito-sized tortillas – $2.28
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- slow cooker
- small bowl
- 3-4 pound chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 can Rotel with green chiles
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Maggi sauce or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 burrito-sized tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Place the chuck roast into the bottom of a slow cooker insert. Layer the onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves on top. Pour Rotel and green chiles on top.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, Maggi sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Use 2 forks to shred the meat.
- Place meat in tortillas, top with desired toppings, and roll into burritos.