The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Indulge in the mouthwatering flavors of Machaca Burritos: tender shredded beef, spices, and savory fillings wrapped in a warm tortilla.
This recipe serves ten and costs approximately $25.63 to make. That’s just about $2.56 per serving!
We love serving our refreshing Mexican Fruit Salad alongside this savory and filling meal.
Do you need another main dish to add to your meal rotation that you can put in your slow cooker to set it and forget it? Who doesn’t need another meal like that? Is a better question!
Machaca Burrito is the perfect meal to add to your monthly rotation, so be sure to pin the recipe because we know you will want to use it repeatedly.
This is such a versatile recipe to have on hand. Machaca meat is delicious and served on or in almost anything: salads, tacos, quesadillas, you name it!
This Machaca recipe will step up your Mexican-inspired recipe repertoire. You cook it in the slow cooker all day, go about your business, come home, and then dinner is ready in minutes.
The most challenging thing you must do is decide how to eat it. We love making burritos out of the meat. But you could serve it over chips with your favorite toppings for nachos. Or serve it in hard taco shells for taco night. You can also serve it over some fresh greens for a tasty salad.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 3-4 pound chuck roast – $19.41
- 1 medium yellow onion – $0.62
- ½ red bell pepper – $0.62
- 3 large garlic cloves – $0.12
- 1 can Rotel with green chiles – $1.24
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles – $0.76
- ¼ cup lime juice – $0.12
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce – $0.10
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano – $0.12
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.01
- 10 burrito-sized tortillas – $2.50
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. Check out Budget Recipes Explained to learn more about how we price our recipes. The pricing for this recipe was updated in May 2023.
How To Make Machaca Burritos
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, place the chuck roast in the bottom of a slow cooker insert.
- Next, layer the onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves.
- Then pour the Rotel and green chiles on top.
- Next, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low for 7-8 hours.
- Shred the meat using two forks.
- Place the beef in tortillas, top with desired toppings, and roll into burritos.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of burritos, you can use the machaca beef to make tacos, taco salad, and quesadillas.
SERVE: Serve the shredded machaca beef in burritos, tacos, nachos, etc. You can keep the meat at room temperature for up to two hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
STORE: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
FREEZE: Cooked, shredded meat will freeze for up to 3 months. You can also assemble the burritos (minus shredded lettuce), wrap them in foil, and freeze them for up to 4 months.
Machaca meat is beef or pork rubbed with spices, marinated, and shredded. It is also known as delicious! It is a traditional Mexican dish that is muy bueno! This recipe is our Americanized version of this classic Mexican meal. We season the shredded beef in our recipe to perfection and cook it in the slow cooker, giving you flavorful and tender-tasting beef.
We make our Mexican-inspired Machaca differently than traditional Machaca. We show you how to flavor the beef to get the same great taste in less time. It is a bit sweet and spicy and has a lot of tasty meat in every bite.
After eating the prepared Machaca shredded beef, please keep it in the refrigerator or freezer. Store the meat in an airtight container.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Let them help layer the ingredients on top of the roast in the crockpot.
Ages 4-5: Let them measure the spices, soy sauce, and lime juice and stir them together. Then, assist them in pouring the mixture into the crockpot.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let them help do most of the recipe by themselves, with you there to guide them. Teach them how to turn on and set the crockpot.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
We look to buy a chuck roast when it is on sale. With the cost of meat, we try to buy it when it is on sale and then store it in the freezer until we can use it.
More +$15 recipes
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Easy Oven Baked Salmon
- Easy Taco Pizza
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Portobello Mushroom Tacos
- Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs
- French Dip Sliders
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- slow cooker
- small bowl
- 3-4 pound chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 can Rotel with green chiles
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Maggi sauce or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 burrito-sized tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Place the chuck roast into the bottom of a slow cooker insert.
- Layer the onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves on top.
- Pour Rotel and green chiles on top.
MIX COOKING LIQUID:
- Whisk together lime juice, Maggi sauce, salt, oregano, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the meat.
- Place meat in tortillas, top with desired toppings, and roll into burritos.