This Crockpot Crack Chicken is a creamy, cheesy, comfort food dinner made with a handful of ingredients. It can be served on hamburger buns, tortillas for wraps or tacos, nachos, and even pizza!
For only $2.52 per serving, you can make a delicious meal that serves eight. That works out to be about $20.20 for the entire recipe.
This meal is creamy, cheesy, full of shredded chicken, bacon, and ranch flavor. What’s not to love?! The meal is full of all the good things. It is definitely an addicting flavor combo. The taste is similar to “crack dip,” but it becomes a full meal when added chicken.
The recipe is straightforward to make with only six ingredients! You cook it, shred it, stir it, and serve it! Making this dish in the crockpot takes care of all the hard work for you.
Serve the chicken mixture on a bun like a sandwich, over rice, in a tortilla, or a lettuce wrap. No matter how you serve it, you will come back for more! This is definitely a meal to have on rotation that is perfect for busy school nights, a Sunday dinner, or coming home after a long day at work.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $20.20
PRICE PER SERVING: $2.52
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts – $11.88
- 1/2 cup chicken broth – $0.16
- 2 packets dry ranch seasoning – $0.96
- 2 blocks cream cheese – $2.00
- 1 cup bacon – $3.36
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – $0.96
- 8 hamburger buns – $0.88
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, prep the chicken and place it in the crockpot.
- Next, pour in the chicken broth, ranch seasoning, and cream cheese chunks.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours. When ready, shred the chicken and then stir in the bacon.
- Finally, evenly sprinkle cheese over the chicken mixture before serving.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Serve the chicken mixture on hamburger buns, over white rice, in a tortilla, or make it keto-friendly and serve it in a lettuce wrap.
- You can serve this as a dip for the super bowl with tortilla chips or corn chips.
- To cut down on calories and fat, you can use reduced fat cream cheese and shredded cheese, but please don’t use fat-free.
Serve: Serve on hamburger buns or over rice and garnish with green onions if desired.
Store: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze: Once the mixture is cooled, transfer it to a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring cups
- mixing spoon
- slow cooker
The internet has made it trendy to call any addicting food “crack.” This dish has similar ingredients to a dip known as “crack dip.” So after adding chicken to the mix, it lovingly became known as “crack chicken.”
Absolutely! That is the beauty of a slow cooker. There is a minimal effort in putting the dish together. But when you return to it several hours later, it is cooked to perfection and ready to eat. Put raw chicken on the bottom of the crockpot before adding the remaining ingredients, and then cook on low for 5-6 hours. The crockpot does the rest for you!
If you have the time to cook the chicken on low, that is always our first preference. Low and slow! However, in a pinch, you can cook it on high for less time.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Let your little one pout in the ingredients on top of the chicken. This is an easy task they can assist with.
Ages 4-5: Have your child help measure out the ingredients for the crockpot. They can also sprinkle on the cheese just before serving.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe that your child can attempt on their own. It is easy enough for them to master with a little practice.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
More Slow Cooker recipes:
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat
- Italian Harvest Soup
- Mom’s Crockpot Broccoli Casserole
- Cranberry Meatballs
- Crockpot Chile Con Queso
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Greek Yogurt
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
Crockpot Crack Chicken – Cheesy Ranch and Bacon Chicken
- Liquid measuring cup
- measuring cups
- mixing spoon
- slow cooker
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup chicken broth regular or low sodium
- 2 packets 1 oz each dry ranch seasoning
- 2 blocks 8 oz each cream cheese
- 1 cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- Green onions sliced
PREP CHICKEN MIXTURE:
- Clean and trim chicken, if necessary and lay it in a single layer in the crockpot.3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Pour chicken broth over chicken.½ cup chicken broth
- Sprinkle chicken with ranch seasoning.2 packets
- Cut cream cheese into chunks and lay on top of chicken.2 blocks
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours
- Remove chicken from the crockpot and shred using two forks or a hand mixer.
- Return chicken to the crock pot and stir in bacon.1 cup bacon
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the chicken mixture and cover until the cheese is melted.1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Serve on hamburger buns, or over rice and garnish with green onions if desired.8 hamburger buns, Green onions