Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake is what you’re gooey chocolatey dreams are made of. It’s a simple recipe that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time.
For about $4.90, you can have a cake to serve your entire family. It makes 10-12 servings, which is only $0.49 per serving.
Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
If you are looking for a gooey, rich, chocolatey, and EASY cake recipe, you have come to the right place! Our Chocolate Lava Cake is made from scratch, and it is made in the slow cooker! Leave the oven free for cooking dinner while you bake dessert at the same time.
Chocolate Lava Cake is known for layers of delicious chocolate with a hot center of batter that has not been fully set. Making this recipe in the slow cooker allows the cake to cook up around the edges while still giving you that gooey center that you love.
This recipe is so easy you will never want to make Chocolate Lava Cake any other way again!
Is chocolate lava cake safe to eat?
Can you eat chocolate lava cake cold?
Can you reheat a lava cake?
How to make Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake recipe:
STEP ONE: First, grease the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Next, mix the cake. Beat ingredients until smooth.
STEP THREE: Then, in another bowl, mix the topping. Again, beat until smooth.
STEP FOUR: After the mixtures are ready, pour the cake mixture into the slower cooker. Next, pour the pudding mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
STEP FIVE: Finally, cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 ½ hours. Serve immediately with ice cream and powdered sugar.
How much will this Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $4.90
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.49
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix – $1.12
- 3 large eggs – $0.30
- 3 1/4 cup milk – $0.52
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil – $0.24
- 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding mix – $0.98
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips – $1.74
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations
For more of a unique flavor, you can experiment with variations of chocolate chips. Dark chocolate chips work great for this recipe!
We also love using the chocolate chips that have caramel in the middle.
How long is it good for:
Serve: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave this Chocolate Lava Cake out for longer than 2 hours.
Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze: We do not recommend freezing this lava cake. Once it’s cooked, it does not freeze and reheat well.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
Ages 2-3: Have your little one sprinkle in the chocolate chips. This is super fun for them!
Ages 4-5: Let your little one help measure and pour the ingredients for both the cake and the topping mixture.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child proper safety while using a handheld mixer. She/he can then beat the cake and topping ingredients together.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
- 4th of July Poke Cake
- Brownie Cookies
- Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Chick-Fil-A Copycat Frosted Lemonade
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites
- Cranberry Pistachio Cookies
- Chick-Fil-A Copycat Peppermint Shake
- Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake
- Chocolate Glazed Biscuit Donuts
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Mom’s Lemon Lush
- Snickers Salad
- Quick Monkey Bread from Scratch
Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
- slow cooker
- mixing bowls
- Liquid measuring cup
- handheld mixer
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 box of chocolate fudge cake mix (15.25 ozs)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup milk anything but skim
- ½ cup vegetable oil
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Ice cream
- powdered sugar
PREP SLOW COOKER:
- Grease the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the cake mix, oil, 1 ¼ cup milk, and eggs into the slow cooker. Beat thoroughly until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat together 2 cups milk and instant pudding mix. Beat thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour pudding mixture evenly overtop the mixture inside the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ hours.
- When cooking time is complete, serve immediately and top with ice cream and powdered sugar (optional).