Death by Chocolate Poke Cake is just the chocolate overload dessert for any chocolate lover. It costs $12.40 to make and serves 12. That’s just $1.04 per serving!
According to my in-depth research, I am figuring that about 95% of you are major chocolate fans. The other 5% of you will tolerate it and may be turned to the other side after tying this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake.
Whatever the stats are I am 100% sure that this is the BEST recipe for Chocolate Poke Cake because 100% of those who have tasted it have LOVED it.
It is 100% true that making the filling and whipped cream topping takes 9% longer than store-bought but it makes it tasted one thousand percent better. So it is totally worth it to end up with this delish Death by Chocolate Poke Cake.
This cake is amazing and definitely kid-friendly. Our kids especially love to help poke the holes in the cake. They think it is such fun and we have 33% more giggles in the kitchen making this Chocolate Poke Cake.
While I 100% made up these percentages, I am not making up the fact that this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake will quickly become a family favorite recipe for you and your loved ones. 😉
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe Questions Answered:
How do you poke a hole in a cake?
What is a poke cake?
Does poke cake need to be refrigerated?
How to Make Death by Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, in a large bowl whisk together all of the cake ingredients until combined. Continue to whisk the batter for 1 minute.
- Then, pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 28-34 minutes. Then let the cake cool after baking for 45-60 minutes.
- Next, using the end of a wooden spoon, poke the cake all over.
- Now you are ready to make the filling to pour onto the cake by first combining sweetened condensed milk and hot fudge sauce. Next, heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and heat on 50% power for 30 seconds. Repeat until the mixture is warmed through and pourable.
- Then slowly pour the filling into the holes of the cake and cover the cake and place it in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer add all of the chocolate whipped cream ingredients. Whip on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Finally, spread chocolate whipped cream evenly over the chilled cake, drizzle with chocolate sauce, and then sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and sprinkles.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Give the wooden spoon to your kiddo, they will love poking the holes in the cake.
- Ages 4-5: Have them help measure out the ingredients for the cake, mix it, and pour it into the pan. They’ll also love helping you put the sprinkles and mini chocolate chips on top of the cake.
- Ages 6-8: Teach them how to use the stand mixer after combining the chocolate whipped cream ingredients and then whipping it together.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Make this a peanut butter and chocolate poke cake by using peanut butter instead of hot fudge in the filling. Also, use peanut butter in the whipped cream instead of cocoa powder. For toppings, opt for cut-up peanut butter cups, yum!
More sweet desserts:
- Brownie Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bon Bons
How long is this good for:
- Serve: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave this mac and cheese out for longer than 2 hours.
- Store: Store the cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Unfortunately, this cake does not freeze well so we don’t recommend it.
How much will this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake cost:
RECIPE COST: $12.40
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.04
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 15.25-ounce chocolate fudge cake mix – $1.07
- 3.9-ounce instant chocolate pudding mix – $0.98
- 1 cup milk – $0.16
- ½ cup vegetable oil – $0.24
- 3 large eggs – $0.30
- ½ cup sour cream – $0.72
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk – $1.98
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce – $1.35
- 2 cups whipping cream – $1.94
- ½ cup powdered sugar – $0.14
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder – $0.58
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.17
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate sauce – $0.54
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips – $0.99
- ¼ cup chocolate sprinkles – $1.24
- mixing bowl
- Large measuring cup
- wooden mixing spoon
- Stand mixer
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
- mixing bowl
- Large measuring cup
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Stand mixer or handheld mixer
- 15.25 ounce chocolate fudge cake mix
- 3.9 ounce instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate sauce
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chocolate sprinkles
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together all of the cake ingredients until combined.
- Then, vigorously whisk the batter together for 1 minute.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 28-34 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Move cake to a wite rack and cool completely about 45-60 minutes.
- Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke the cake all over.
MAKE FILLING & POUR ONTO CAKE:
- In a large microwave-safe measuring cup (I use a 4-cup measuring cup), combine sweetened condensed milk and hot fudge sauce. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and heat on 50% power for 30 seconds. Repeat until the mixture is warmed through and pourable.
- Slowly pour the filling into the holes of the cake, this should take a couple of minutes, take your time.
- Cover the cake and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour or overnight.
MAKE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add all of the chocolate whipped cream ingredients. Whip on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread chocolate whipped cream evenly over the chilled cake.
- Drizzle cake with chocolate sauce.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles.
- Serve or chill until ready to serve.