Do you know how pecan pie is rich, buttery and irresistible? Well, this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie is so much better than that! Plus it costs just 83¢ per serving!
Pie, it’s why we really show up to Thanksgiving dinner right? Like, let’s get through the formalities of dinner so we can get to the main event! We usually have so many beautiful looking pies at our Thanksgiving spread. I end up taking a small slice of each because I just cannot decide what the best one is. And then I feel sick because I definitely gobbled til I wobbled! This chocolate pecan pie will solve that problem. You will not want to eat any other pies after tasting this one.
We give the classic traditional pecan pie a plot twist by taking it up a notch. How do we do this you ask? By adding chocolate! Because everything is better with chocolate right? The sweet chocolate flavor combined with the crunchy texture of the pecans makes this the best chocolate pecan pie you will ever have!
It will seriously leave you wanting to make it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Pie-day, Pi-day, your kid got good grades, your kid slept through the night, you walked a mile, and any other excuse you can think of!
CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE RECIPE QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
What is chocolate pecan pie?
Chocolate pecan pie is just like the original but with a chopped up dark Dove chocolate bar added in, taking this dessert to the next level. It reminds me of eating one of those chocolate caramel turtles that my Grandma always made at Christmas time.
How long does chocolate pecan pie last?
About ten minutes in my house! Haha! If you have leftovers that is the best. I LOVE me some leftover pie. It will keep, stored in your fridge, for up to 5 days. Ha, again I laugh, as I am pretty sure it will NOT last that long in any household. If it does, tell me your ways for you have amazing will power!
Can you freeze pecan pie?
Definitely! Cover the pie tightly with tin foil and then freeze. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them pour in the ingredients for the pie filling and help stir it together. Have them unwrap the chocolate.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure the ingredients for the filling. This is a great opportunity to talk to them about fractions!
- Ages 6-8: Have them help by cutting up the chocolate bars. You may need to watch them as they will be tempted to snack on it!
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations:
- If you have a stellar homemade crust recipe that you love, then go ahead and use it here instead of using a frozen crust.
- Instead of dark chocolate, you can use semi-sweet, milk, and even white! If you want to be super fancy, pick 3 different kids and use all of them in the pie!
- Serve the pie with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
What to Serve with Chocolate Pecan Pie:
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- One hour Dinner Rolls
- Instant Pot Turkey Gravy
- French-Bread Stuffing Recipe
- Jenna’s Naughty Mashed Potatoes Recipe
How long is this good for:
- Serve: After the pie has cooled completely, it can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours. After that, it will need to be refrigerated.
- Store: You can store the pie in the fridge for up to 5 days as long as it is in an airtight container or wrapped tightly with saran wrap.
- Freeze: Wrap the pie tightly with tin foil and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To Reheat: Place the pie in a 250-degree F oven for about twenty minutes, or until heated through.
How much will the Chocolate Pecan Pie Ingredients cost:
RECIPE COST: $8.30
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.83
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 9-inch deep-dish frozen pie crust – $1.38
- 3 Tablespoons butter – $0.30
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar – $0.33
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 2 large eggs – $0.20
- ½ cup light corn syrup – $0.68
- 1 cup pecan halves – $2.84
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.68
- 3.30 ounces Dove Dark Chocolate Bar – $1.88
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe:
Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie
- mixing bowl
- wire rack
- 9 inch deep-dish frozen pie crust thawed for 20 minutes
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 6 ounces Dove dark chocolate bar chopped into small pieces
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Move oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Re-crimp the edges of the thawed pie crust (I like to do this to give the pie more of a “homemade” look).
- In a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, salt, eggs, corn syrup, and vanilla. Fold in pecans and chocolate pieces. Pour filling into pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes, and then remove the pie from the oven, and cover it with foil. Put the pie back into the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until filling is set and giggles ever so slightly.
- Place pie on a wire rack, and cool to room temperature for 4 hours. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.