The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Chicken Vegetable Soup is a delicious, filling, and healthy dinner ready in under an hour. It’s an easy dinner that the entire family will love!
This soup costs $13.40 to make 8 servings. That is just $1.68 per serving.
For a delicious meal, make a batch of these Corn Muffins or 1-Hour Dinner Rolls to serve alongside the soup.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
This soup is full of shredded chicken, vegetables, and potatoes simmered in a tomato broth. Chicken and Vegetable Soup is an easy way to eat your veggies. Not only is it a colorful assortment of produce, but it is also a bowl full of protein.
We love to make this when we have leftover chicken and veggies in the fridge. It is a great way to ensure nothing goes to waste. The soup makes a hearty and filling dinner any night of the week.
This one-pot meal will become your go-to recipe when looking for a soup to keep you warm on those chilly nights. In fact, in less than an hour, you can enjoy this healthy and easy Chicken Vegetable Soup!
How do you add flavor to vegetable soup?
We add Italian Seasoning and fresh Parsley to our recipe to give it an extra bit of flavor. You can always add more herbs to taste if desired.
Can you mix vegetable and chicken broth?
Yes. Allowing the vegetables to simmer in the chicken broth cooks the veggies and adds a great flavor.
What can I use if I don’t have stock?
If you do not have stock on hand and cannot get some, have no fear! You can use water instead. You can add a bouillon cube to the water to make your own stock. Or it is fine to use plain water. Just note the soup will taste slightly different without the chicken stock flavor, but it will still be delish from the other flavors packed in there!
How to make Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe:
STEP ONE: First, heat oil in a large pot and add in the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
STEP TWO: Stir in the garlic. Then stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
STEP THREE: Next, pour in the chicken stock, chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, and mushrooms. Bring the mixture to a boil.
STEP FOUR: After it is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir in the green beans and corn and cook for 5 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Finally, stir in chopped parsley and serve.
- large, heavy bottom pot
- wooden mixing spoon
- measuring spoons
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring cups
- cutting board
- Chef’s Knife
The Flavor and Recipe Variations
- This recipe calls for our shredded chicken. You can also use leftover chicken, leftover turkey, or rotisserie chicken.
- You can pretty much add any vegetable that you would like for this recipe. This recipe is hard to mess up!
How much will this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $13.40
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.68
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- 1 medium yellow onion – $0.62
- 3 large celery stalks – $0.54
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.10
- 3 large carrots – $0.42
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning – $0.26
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper – $0.03
- 8 cups chicken stock – $2.48
- 4 cups shredded chicken – $4.16
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes – $0.98
- 2 cups russet potatoes – $0.50
- 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes – $0.64
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans – $0.17
- 1 cup button mushrooms – $1.88
- 1/2 cup frozen corn – $0.21
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley or chopped green onions – $0.12
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How long is it good for:
Serve: You can keep this recipe at room temperature for about 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze: Once the soup is cooled, place it in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. Freeze for 4-5 months.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
Ages 2-3: Practice counting skills with your little one with this recipe. Have them help pour in the chicken stock and shredded chicken and count as they do it.
Ages 4-5: Have your child help pour in the frozen veggies. They can stir them in as well as the parsley before serving.
Ages 6-8: Teaching proper knife safety, show your child how to cut the veggies and potatoes properly.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
More Soup recipes:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Leftover Turkey Barley Soup
- Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Large Batch Chicken Noodle Soup
- Italian Harvest Soup
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- large heavy bottom pot
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- measuring cups
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced about 1 cup
- 3 large sliced celery stalks about 1 cup
- 3 large peeled and sliced carrots about 1 cup
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen green beans
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley or chopped green onion chopped
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots and cook until softened and the edges of the onions are golden for about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, and mushrooms.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until all the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Stir in the frozen green beans and corn, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped parsley and serve immediately.
This soup was so hearty and comforting. We loved it!
Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try this one with my family.