The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
It only takes four ingredients to make this Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe. These muffins are quick, easy, and perfect for breakfast or snacks.
This recipe makes eighteen muffins and costs $3.93. That works out to be about $0.21 per muffin.
If you are looking for more easy muffin recipes, try our Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins or our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins.
We have most likely all had a blueberry or banana muffin. Both are good on their own. But have you ever had a Banana Blueberry Muffin? It is a match made in Heaven! The bananas add sweetness, while the juicy blueberries add a burst of tangy freshness.
Banana and Blueberry Muffins are perfectly moist and not too sweet. They are the perfect afternoon snack, quick breakfast, or make-ahead breakfast for road trips or busy mornings.
In addition, the muffins are freezer friendly, allowing you to use them when you need them. Sometimes we like to make a second batch to freeze.
Blueberry Banana Muffins use one bowl and one spoon to make. No mixer or separate bowl is required! And you get two fruits in one muffin.
Many recipes call for sour cream and olive oil to get that perfectly moist muffin. Our recipe only uses four ingredients and relies on the bananas to make them moist. There is no going wrong with this easy recipe.
Of course, one of our favorite things to make with extra ripe bananas is Banana Bread. But, it is also fun to make something different. Making a batch of muffins is a great way to use ripe bananas in a fun new way.
So, make this Banana Blueberry Muffin recipe for a nice change when you have extra ripe bananas. Your family will love these delicious muffins, and so will you!
Ingredients & Cost:
- 4 ripe bananas – $1.00
- 1 box spice cake mix – $1.34
- 2 large eggs – $0.34
- 1 cup fresh blueberries – 1.25
To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the muffin tins with cupcake liners. Spray the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Next, stir together the mashed bananas, cake mix, and eggs using a large bowl.
- Then, fill the liners with the muffin batter. Add additional blueberries to the top of the muffins if you would like.
- Finally, bake the muffins for about twenty minutes. Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for fifteen minutes before serving.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- You can add toasted pecans or walnuts to the muffins.
- Also, you can replace the blueberries with raspberries.
- Adding chocolate chips is also a great option.
- If you do not have fresh blueberries, you can use frozen blueberries in a pinch. Note that it will alter the taste and color of the batter slightly.
SERVE: Serve warm with some butter or at room temperature.
STORE: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for five days.
FREEZE: Individually wrap each muffin in two layers of plastic wrap and place them in freezer-safe zipper-top bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
DEFROST: Defrost at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Muffin tins
- Mixing bowl
- Wire rack
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups
Overripe bananas make these muffins extra moist. However, a couple of more essential tips to help make moist muffins are: do not overmix the batter or overbake them. Follow these easy tips and say goodbye to dry muffins forever!
These muffins only have 161 calories per muffin. Blueberry Banana Muffins are healthier than other breakfast items like a donut. The muffins are a good source of essential minerals, Vitamins B and E, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Using room-temperature ingredients when making muffins is key to getting a fluffy muffin. The eggs should be at room temperature before adding them to the banana mixture in this recipe. The eggs will help trap air in the batter that expands during the baking process resulting in that fluffy texture we all love. However, this expansion process does not work with cold eggs.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Ask your little one to help line the muffin tin with the paper liners. They can practice counting while putting the liners in each cavity.
Ages 4-5: Let your child add additional blueberries to the top of each muffin. They can count the total number of blueberries that they add to the muffins to practice counting skills.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child how to crack an egg properly. They can mix the ingredients and fill the liners with the batter.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Skip the coffee shop at only $0.21 per muffin and make these homemade muffins instead to save a few dollars in your grocery budget. You will still get the bakery-style muffins without the cost and waiting a long time in line!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Banana Pancakes Recipe
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Chia Seed Pudding
- Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- Sausage Rolls
- Shortcut Apple Fritter Bread
- Homemade Granola
- Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes
- The Best French Toast Recipe
Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Muffin tins
- mixing bowl
- wire rack
- mixing spoon
- measuring cups
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, and lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
PREP OVEN AND MUFFIN TIN:
- Move oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
MAKE BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bananas, cake mix, and eggs, and stir until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
FILL MUFFIN TINS:
- Divide the batter evenly among the 18 muffin liners. liners.
- Add a few extra blueberries on top if you wish. (We think it makes them look pretty. If you do this, you’ll need ¼ cup more blueberries).
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
COOL AND SERVE:
- Remove the muffins from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the fact that this recipe uses a cake mix! Spice cake mix is SO perfect for these muffins-they came out perfect and SUPER easy!
Love this banana blueberry combo. I will bake this soon. Thanks .
Wow, using spice cake mix for these muffins is a genius move. The batter comes together in minutes, and the rest is just baking time in the oven.
These muffins are fabulous! My kids devoured them! thanks for another great muffins recipe.
Yummy! Baked these for breakfast and they are delicious served warm! What a treat! Thanks for the recipe! 🙂