The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Mexican Beef Stew fits the bill perfectly if you are looking for an easy and hearty winter meal. It’s great for a cozy evening at home.
This stew costs approximately $19.82 to make. The recipe makes eight servings for about $2.47 per serving.
We recommend trying our Papa’s Gone All Day Stew for another delicious stew recipe.
Mexican Beef Stew
We love making stew during the chilly winter months. This Mexican Beef Stew is one of our favorites!
It takes a classic stew recipe and adds a Mexican flavor to it. The savory sauce and seasonings give this dish its fabulous taste.
The stew meat is first browned and then added to the veggies, sauce, and seasonings, where it is all cooked over low heat resulting in flavorful, tender meat. Serve warm tortillas and/or rice with this Mexican Beef Stew recipe for a complete meal everyone will rave about.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 2 pounds beef stew meat – $11.96
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper – $0.02
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil – $0.09
- 1 large onion – $0.62
- 3 garlic cloves – $0.12
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes – $0.72
- 2 cups beef broth – $0.66
- 1 jalapeno – $0.20
- 2 bell peppers – $2.48
- 1 teaspoon chili powder – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano – $0.05
- 1 teaspoon cumin – $0.03
- 3 cups carrots – $0.84
- 3 cups red potatoes – $1.34
- 1 cup frozen corn – $0.42
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro – $0.20
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in January 2023.
How To Make Mexican Beef Stew
- First, season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Then, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat using a large Dutch oven.
- Next, add the beef, garlic, and chopped onion. Brown the cubes on each side for five minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on the beef and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, broth, jalapeno, bell peppers, spices, carrots, and potatoes and boil.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and allow the stew to simmer for forty minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Finally, remove the stew from the heat, garnish with cilantro and serve.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- You can substitute lentils or pinto beans for black beans.
- You can add more vegetables, such as zucchini, summer squash, or celery.
- If you want a spicier stew, add more chili powder, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes.
- You can also use Rotel instead of diced tomatoes.
SERVE: Serve with fresh chopped cilantro. You can keep the stew out for no longer than two hours before it needs to be covered and stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Place in an airtight container and store for up to four days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place in a freezer-safe container or storage bag. Freeze for 5-6 months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
REHEAT: Reheat in a pot or saucepan on the stovetop until heated through.
The secret is to cook the stew on low. Do not rush the cooking process; the meat will be tough and chewy instead of soft and tender.
The combination of the stew meat, Mexican spices, and veggies all come together to make this a flavorful stew. It may seem like many ingredients, but the seasonings and sauce make this stew delicious!
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Ask your child to help pour the ingredients into the Dutch Oven. This is a great time to practice counting as they count the number of ingredients they add to the pot.
Ages 4-5: Your child can practice their measuring skills as they help you measure the various spices for the stew.
Ages 6-8: Teaching proper knife safety, guide your child’s hands as you teach them how to dice, peel, and chop the veggies for this stew. They can also help you ladle the stew into bowls for serving.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
This stew is a filling meal that can feed your entire family for about twenty dollars. You cannot take your family out to eat for that amount!
More Main Dish Recipes
- Meatball Stroganoff (Slow Cooker)
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Crockpot Chili and How to Freeze Chili
- Mexican Lasagna
- Farro Soup
- Healthy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Machaca Burritos
- Butter Bean Soup
Mexican Beef Stew
- Dutch oven
- Measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- Liquid measuring cup
- Wooden mixing spoon
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 bell peppers diced the color of your choice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 cups red potatoes cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef, garlic, and chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes to brown the cubes on each side.
- Sprinkle flour on the beef and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
MAKE THE STEW:
- Add the tomatoes, broth, jalapeno, bell peppers, spices, carrots, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 40 minutes, add the corn, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
FINISH AND SERVE:
- Remove the stew from the heat and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
I love anything with Mexican flavours, and this stew is so comforting and delicious.
I don’t know what exactly made this stew so tasty, but it was superb! I think letting the beef stew slowly with all the beautiful Mexican spices really enhances the flavour! 10 out of 10!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
Love the Mexican flavours in this and the veggies make it a complete meal too.
We love the Mexican flavours in this delicious beef stew recipe!
I love the bold Mexican flavors in this beef stew recipe!