The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Leftover Turkey Sandwiches are a Thanksgiving staple! They’re perfect for lunch the next day and can be made to fit anyone’s tastes.
For less than $5, you can make six delicious turkey sandwiches. That works out to be just $0.80 per sandwich for a total of $4.84 for the whole recipe!
If you have leftover Turkey, make some Homemade White Bread and make these delicious sandwiches. We also recommend making this Leftover Turkey Barley Soup as another option for using up that leftover turkey.
Quite possibly, the biggest dilemma after Thanksgiving is what to do with all the leftover turkey! These sandwiches are the perfect solution. Leftover Turkey sandwiches are easy to make, so they really are the best to eat the next day when the last thing you feel like doing is cooking.
The other thing we love about these sandwiches is just how customizable and versatile they are. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes of what makes the perfect sandwich.
So while we have our recipe for what we enjoy, you can remove what you do not want and add what you want. Just note this will change the recipe price slightly as you change the ingredients, but you will have a general idea of the cost.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $4.84
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.80
- 12 slices wheat bread – $1.48
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise – $0.30
- 6 slices Havarti cheese – $0.19
- 3 cups turkey – $2.22
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes – $0.15
- 2 cups romaine lettuce – $0.50
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, spread mayonnaise on one slice of bread.
- Next, layer the sandwich toppings on the slice of bread.
- Finally, top with the remaining slice of bread and enjoy.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- This is such versatile recipe that you can basically add any variety of toppings that you would like to your sandwich. Use the recipe in the recipe card as a jumping off point.
Serve: You can keep these sandwiches at room temperature for about 2 hours before they need to be refrigerated.
Store: Once assembled, store the leftover turkey sandwiches in an airtight container for 24 hours.
Freeze: These sandwiches are so easy to whip together that we do not recommend freezing them.
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
Turkey is a lean protein, which is a healthy option. To make this sandwich even healthier, you can substitute hummus for mayonnaise.
Our favorite type of cheese for this sandwich is Havarti. However, you can definitely use your favorite instead. A few good options might include Colby Jack, Swiss, provolone, and Monterey Jack.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Your little one can help layer the toppings on the bread slices.
Ages 4-5: Our children like to take everyone’s order when making these sandwiches and serve them after they have prepared the customized orders. It is a fun game to play while they help.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe for your child to make on their own. They can even do the clean-up!
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Using leftovers to make a new meal is a great way to save on your grocery bill. We try to repurpose leftovers as often as possible.
More Under $5 Recipes
- Easy Pork Chop Marinade
- Instant Pot Baked Beans with BBQ Sauce
- Copycat Sonic Slushes
- Easy Hummus Recipe
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Easter Bunny Rolls
- Instant Pot Popcorn
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Spanish Rice
Leftover Cold Turkey Sandwiches
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- 12 slices good-quality wheat bread toasted if you like
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 3 cups turkey sliced thinly
- 6 slices Havarti cheese or cheese of your choice
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Cranberry Sauce
- Spread ½ Tablespoon of mayonnaise on 1 slice of bread.
- Add ½ cup of turkey, 1 slice of cheese, a slice of tomato, and lettuce, and optional toppings.
- Top with bread.
- Repeat the process to make the other sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.