The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats are fun and festive Valentine’s Day treats that are just as fun to make as they are to eat!
This recipe costs approximately $7.29 to make. The recipe makes twenty servings for about $0.37 per serving.
Try our Easy Valentine’s Day Fudge, White Chocolate Dipped Oreos, and our Valentine’s Rolo Pretzel Turtles for fun ways to celebrate the day of love.
Rice Krispies are a classic treat that just about everyone loves. But we are taking them up a notch to make them pretty for Valentine’s Day by adding sprinkles and frosting to a classic recipe. So you can make these treats for your family, friends, and loved ones with just a couple of extra steps.
These Rice Krispie treats are cut out with a heart-shaped cookie cutter and then topped with frosting and sprinkles. They are adorable and deliciously gooey with the perfect ratio of marshmallows to Rice Krispie’s cereal. Adding the melted frosting and sprinkles puts these treats over the top!
Grab the kiddos. They will love making and decorating this easy Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats recipe dipped in frosting and topped with cute Valentine’s themed sprinkles with you!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.56
- 12-ounce bag of marshmallows – $2.00
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.17
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal – $1.86
- 16-ounce container store-bought frosting – $1.36
- ¼ teaspoon pink food coloring – $0.13
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring – $0.13
- 3 Tablespoons Valentine’s sprinkles – $1.08
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in January 2023.
How To Make Heart-Shaped Rice Krispie Treats
- First, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Then, add the marshmallows and cook over medium-low heat until melted.
- Next, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the marshmallow mixture to the cereal and stir until combined.
- Evenly spread the mixture in a 10×15 rimmed baking sheet.
- Let the rice krispies sit for five minutes. Then cut out heart shapes and place them on a different baking sheet.
- Next, divide half of the frosting into separate bowls. Melt the frosting for fifteen seconds and stir until smooth. Stir in the food coloring to each bowl and then transfer to squeeze bottles if you choose to use them.
- Drizzle the rice krispies with frosting, and then add the sprinkles.
- Finally, allow the hearts to sit for about thirty minutes to harden before serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- You can change the flavor profile of these treats by making the base of these treats chocolate! Just follow the recipe for our Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats.
SERVE: Serve once the frosting has set after about 30 minutes.
STORE: Store the treats in the pan, covered, at room temperature for two days or wrap the treats individually in plastic wrap.
FREEZE: The treats do not freeze or refrigerate well (they dry out and become rock-hard), so we don’t recommend freezing them.
After spreading the Rice Krispie mixture into a baking sheet, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to easily cut the heart shapes before decorating them.
You can make these treats up to four days in advance. Store them in an airtight container, at room temperature, with wax paper between each layer. However, we do prefer these the day they are made.
Delicious Rice Krispie treats are all about the ratios. You will have perfectly chewy treats with the perfect balance of butter, marshmallows, and Rice Krispies cereal. However, if there is too much butter, they will become too sticky and wet. Without enough butter, the treats will be too dry. Be sure to measure twice and pour once!
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Practice counting skills with your little one as they count the number of hearts you cut out of the Rice Krispie Treats.
Ages 4-5: Let your child practice measuring skills as they measure the Rice Krispies into a measuring cup. They can then pour the cereal into the pot.
Ages 6-8: Your child can use the cookie cutter to cut out the hearts, dip them into the frosting, and sprinkle them with sprinkles. All kids love helping with this step and using their creativity!
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Package each heart in a cellophane bag, some ribbon, and a cute tag for an inexpensive treat to give to friends and family.
More No-Bake Desserts
- Copycat Chick Fil A Peppermint Shake
- Grandma’s Homemade Chocolate Syrup
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bon Bons
- Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Cake Pops – Donut Hole Cake Pops
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Chick-Fil-A Copycat Frosted Lemonade
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Bombs
Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 10×15 rimmed baking sheet
- Heart cookie cutting
- Microwave-safe bowl
RICE KRISPIE TREATS:
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 oz bag marshmallows about 40 regular size
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 16 oz container store-bought white frosting
- ¼ teaspoon pink food coloring
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring
- 3 Tablespoons Valentine’s sprinkles
MAKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS:
- In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter.
- Add marshmallows and cook over medium-low heat until completely melted, stirring often.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add marshmallow mixture to cereal and stir until combined well.
- Spread evenly into a 10×15 rimmed baking sheet.
- Let set for about 5 minutes. You want the mixture to be set but easy to cut with cookie cutters.
- Cut out with heart-shaped cookie cutters, and place on a separate baking sheet.
- Divide half of the frosting into separate bowls.
- Melt in the microwave for 15 seconds, and stir until smooth.
- Color the frosting with pink and red food coloring.
- Transfer frosting to a squeeze bottle, or dip the heart into the bowl to coat the edge or front.
- Drizzle or spread with frosting and Immediately add sprinkles.
SET AND SERVE:
- Let the frosting and sprinkles set for about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
These are so perfect for Valentine’s Day! Adding this to my list of treats I’ll be making for my kids around that time!
These heart shaped rice krispie treats are super fun and festive!
I gotta make these with the kids this weekend! They would love em! Thank you for this recipe!
Great recipe! The perfect Valentine’s treat for my littles! I’m going to put them into cute little bags and have them deliver them to their friends’ houses.