The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats take a minimum amount of time and effort to prepare. They take just 20 minutes to make. So grab the kids because they’ll love making them with you!
Our recipe costs about $3.64 to make. It makes twelve servings and costs approximately $0.30 per serving.
These treats are perfect for a cookie tray for gifting to friends and neighbors alongside these Candy Cane Cookies, Ice Box Cookies, and Dulce De Leche Cookies.
Rice Krispie Treats are an all-time classic no-bake treat. They are perfectly gooey treats that you may think cannot get any better. But wait, we are taking plain Rice Krispie Treats to the next level with this recipe by adding chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better, right?!
This simple recipe is a quick and easy recipe perfect for last-minute gifting or snacks. You melt, stir, and press it into a pan! The light butter flavor, melty marshmallow, crispy cereal, and rich chocolate make the perfect soft and gooey Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.22
- 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows – $1.38
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk – $0.01
- ½ cup chocolate chips – $0.50
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal – $1.53
To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How To Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- First, melt the butter, marshmallows, and chocolate chips in a large pot over low heat, stirring until the marshmallows have melted.
- Next, add the milk and stir until it is creamy and smooth.
- Then, mix in the cereal until it is coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Press the mixture into an 8×8 pan. Garnish with additional marshmallows and chocolate chips by pressing them gently into the tops of the treats (optional).
- Finally, allow the treats to chill for ten minutes before cutting them into twelve squares and serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Substitute 4 ounces milk chocolate for chocolate chips.
SERVE: Serve once the treats have cooled for 10 minutes.
STORE: Store the treats in the pan, covered, at room temperature for two days or wrap the treats individually in plastic wrap.
FREEZE: The treats do not freeze or refrigerate well (they dry out and become rock hard), so we don’t recommend freezing them.
Nothing quite beats the taste of melted marshmallows. We do not recommend skipping out on the marshmallows for this recipe. However, we do recommend that you use fresh marshmallows for best results. You will not regret it!
Melting the butter and marshmallows over low heat is the key to perfectly soft and chewy Rice Krispie Treats. It is most likely due to melting the butter and marshmallows over high heat if they are hard and not soft. It may take a few extra minutes to melt them over low heat, but avoiding rock-hard Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats is worth the extra time.
After making the Rice Krispie treats, store them in an airtight container to keep them from drying out and getting hard.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Ask your child to count the number of cups of Rice Krispies that you pour into the pot to mix into the butter, chocolate, and marshmallow mixture.
Ages 4-5: Your child can help slice the Chocolate Rice Krispies into squares. They can count the number of squares while reviewing shapes.
Ages 6-8: Ask your child to pre-measure the ingredients. This is an excellent recipe for your child to help and learn how to master independently.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Buy butter when it goes on sale and keep it in the freezer, so you’re stocked up for all of your holiday baking.
More No-Bake Desserts
- Easy Cake Pops – Donut Cake Hole Cake Pops
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Peppermint Patty Candy
- No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Fudge
- Homemade Peanut Brittle
- Peppermint Pie – Candy Cane Pie
- Crockpot Candy
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bon Bons
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- large pot
- mixing spoon
- measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 8×8-inch pan
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
MELT RICE KRISPIE TREATS BASE:
- In a large pot over low heat, melt butter, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
- Stir often until the marshmallows have fully melted.
- Add in milk and stir until everything is smooth and creamy.
MAKE AND FORM TREATS:
- Add in the cereal and mix until the cereal is coated in the chocolate marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into an 8×8 pan, pressing firmly to fill the pan evenly.
- Garnish with additional marshmallows and chocolate chips by pressing them gently into the tops of the treats (optional).
CHILL AND FINISH:
- Allow the treats to set or chill for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 12 squares. Serve.
- Use fresh marshmallows for the best results
- Adding half and half or milk makes combining easier
- Substitute 4 ounces milk chocolate for chocolate chips
- Store the treats in the pan, covered, at room temperature for 2 days, or wrap the treats individually in plastic wrap.
Lima Ekram says
I actually just pointed to the recipe and had the kids make it. Absolutely scrumptious!!!
We must be kids at heart because we absolutely love rice Krispies and these treats were extremely delicious! Very easy to make too! Perfect snack to take to the office for your lunch break!
Seema Sriram says
Even being an adult this is the treat I love any day. My young ones make it on their own, but certainly, I can tuck in a few extra if I make them!!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
What a great recipe and perfect for getting the kids involved too.