The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These French Silk Brownies have a thin brownie layer, a mousse-like texture, and the perfect balance of chocolate and cream.
It costs approximately $11.87 to make these brownies. The recipe makes twelve servings for about $0.98 per serving.
Need another idea on what to do with that box of brownies? Try these Christmas Brownie Cookies that can be made any time of the year with different colored sprinkles.
French Silk Brownies
We are calling all chocolate lovers! This French Silk Brownies recipe is for you!
It is the triple threat of desserts with three separate layers of chocolatey goodness throughout the layers. The first layer is a fudgy brownie, followed by a French silk chocolate layer topped. The final layer is Cool Whip and some chocolate chips for garnish.
Each bite is the perfect combination of chocolate deliciousness and cream. We combine two favorite desserts, brownies, and French Silk Pie, into one decadent dessert that is restaurant quality.
The creamy, rich flavors are irresistible. Your tastebuds, friends, and family will thank you every time you make these French Silk Brownies!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 18 oz Ghirardelli Double Chocolate brownie mix – $3.14
- ¼ cup water – $0.00
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil – $0.16
- 1 large egg – $0.43
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips – $1.08
- 8 ounces cream cheese – $2.62
- 1 ⅓ cup powdered sugar – $0.49
- ¼ cocoa powder – $0.41
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream – $0.83
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract – $0.52
- 16 oz container Cool Whip – $2.19
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. Check out Budget Recipes Explained to learn more about how we price our recipes. The pricing for this recipe was updated in February 2023.
How To Make French Silk Brownies
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven according to the directions on the brownie box and grease a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, prepare the brownie batter according to the box instructions.
- Then, spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool fully after baking.
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Then, fold in half of the Cool Whip and spread the filling evenly over the brownie layer.
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip over the top of the chocolate filling layer.
- Set the brownies in the fridge to chill for at least two hours.
- Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Slice and serve.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of Cool Whip, you can use 3-4 cups of freshly whipped cream.
SERVE: You can keep these out for no longer than two hours before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FREEZE: You can freeze leftovers in a sealed container for up to 4 weeks.
DEFROST: To defrost, place in the refrigerator the night before serving.
The ratio of fat to flour ratio is what determines whether a cake is fudgy or cakey. Adding more flour will create a cakey brownie texture. Likewise, a higher percentage of butter and real chocolate will create a more fudge-like texture.
Adding an additional egg can also make the brownies more cake-like. However, we recommend only using one egg, as the box directs, to help achieve a fudge-like brownie.
We use vegetable oil in this brownie recipe. The fat in the batter creates the fudge-like texture we have talked about so much! The fudgy brownie topped with the chocolate and Cool Whip layers is divine!
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Ask your little one to help mix the ingredients. They can learn how to make the layers of the brownies as they help you mix the ingredients.
Ages 4-5: Teach your child to fold the Cool Whip into the chocolate filling mixture. This is a basic skill they can use in many other recipes.
Ages 6-8: Your child can assist by spreading the layers over the brownie layer.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
No need to go out for a decadent dessert. Skip the restaurant, save money, and make these French Silk Brownies at home! You will get more servings than you would be ordering out, so it is a win-win!
More Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bon Bons
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Chocolate Mint Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
- Dr. Pepper Cake
- Copycat Mrs. Field’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Snickers Cheesecake Brownies
French Silk Brownies
- 9×13-inch baking dish
- mixing bowl
- handheld mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- rubber scraper
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 18 oz box Ghirardelli Double Chocolate brownie mix
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz container Cool Whip divided
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
- Preheat the oven according to brownie box instructions.
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the brownie batter according to the box instructions.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set the brownies aside to fully cool.
MAKE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Fold in half of the Cool Whip.
- Spread the chocolate filling evenly over the top of the cooled brownie layer.
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip across the top of the chocolate filling layer.
- Place the brownies in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Slice and serve.