The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of John Soules Foods. All opinions are 100% mine.
These Chicken and Waffle Tacos are an easy weeknight dinner that is some serious comfort food. It’s an easy recipe that even kids can make!
For about $9.96, you can make six servings of these chicken waffle tacos. That works out to be just $1.66 per serving.
We recommend trying out our Buffalo Chicken Pizza recipe for another quick and easy weeknight recipe.
Trade-in your typical hard taco shell for a waffle taco on your next Taco Tuesday night. These waffle tacos transform a typical taco night into a fun and easy meal any night of the week.
You can have a delicious meal ready to go in just about 15 minutes. The other good news is that everyone loves these waffle tacos! A waffle is folded to resemble a taco and then stuffed with coleslaw and delicious John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken.
The breaded chicken breast is full of breaded homestyle flavor that you love in Southern Style chicken. There are no added steroids or hormones, so you know exactly what you are eating. These tacos would make a fun appetizer for game day or a delicious dinner when you don’t have much prep time.
Pull the frozen waffles and chicken out of the freezer, bake, assemble, and eat. It doesn’t get much easier than that! You’ll find, with this meal, that you will have extra time to focus on your family because you will not be in the kitchen that long doing lots of prep-work to get dinner on the table.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $9.96
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.66
- 12 ounces John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken – $7.34
- 12 frozen round waffles – $1.48
- 2 cups coleslaw – $1.14
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, cook the chicken per the package instructions.
- Next, cook the waffles in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Then, fold one waffle into a taco shape and secure it with two toothpicks. Place it on a baking sheet while you shape the remaining waffles, and then bake for 7-8 minutes.
- After removing the toothpicks, place 2-3 Tablespoons of coleslaw on the bottom of each waffle taco.
- Finally, put two pieces of chicken in each taco and garnish with desired toppings before serving.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- We drizzle buffalo hot sauce over the top of the chicken, but you can drizzle BBQ sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or even maple syrup.
- My kids love adding baked beans to the bottom of the tacos instead of coleslaw.
Serve: We like to serve these tacos family-style so people can assemble them how they like them. They’re best assembled and eaten immediately.
Store: Store the different components of the chicken and waffle tacos separately in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Freeze: Unfortunately, once this recipe is assembled, it does not freeze well.
It seems odd at first thought to put chicken and waffles together in one meal. But we promise the combo works! The savory breaded crispy chicken inside the sweet crispy waffle is out of this world delicious. Give it a try to see for yourself!
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Your child can assist you by placing the chicken pieces in each waffle. They will enjoy helping finish off the tacos before serving.
Ages 4-5: Have your child help form the tacos by placing the toothpicks in each waffle.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let your child try independently while you are close by for assistance. There are minimal steps that they can quickly master.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
We like to buy bags of John Soules Foods Homestyle Tenders and place them in our freezer to pull out on nights when we need a quick and easy meal before rushing out the door to the next activity. It saves us time and money as we avoid eating out when time is short for making dinner.
More $10 recipes:
- 20-Minute Thai Peanut Noodles
- Best grilled hamburgers
- BBQ Chicken Braid
- Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo
- Crockpot Cranberry Meatballs
- Easy Chana Masala
- General Tso Chicken
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Inside Out Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken and Waffle Tacos
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- baking sheet
- 24 ounces John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken
- 12 frozen round waffles
- 2 cups coleslaw
- Hot sauce optional
- Sliced green onions optional
- Cook the Southern Style Chicken as per the package instructions (375 degrees for 12-14 minutes).24 ounces John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken
MAKE WAFFLE TACOS:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 375 degrees F. Place 12 waffles on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 45 seconds, or until the waffles are warm and pliable.
- Fold one waffle into a taco shape and use 2 toothpicks to secure the waffle in place, leaving a good amount of space for the waffle to be filled. Place the waffle on an ungreased baking sheet and repeat with the remaining waffles.12 frozen round waffles
- Bake the waffles for 7-8 minutes or until they are crisp and hold their shape. Remove the toothpicks.12 frozen round waffles
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE:
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of coleslaw on the bottom of each waffle taco.12 frozen round waffles, 2 cups coleslaw
- Put two pieces of John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken in each taco.24 ounces John Soules Foods Southern Style Chicken, 12 frozen round waffles
- Add desired garnishes (optional). Serve.Hot sauce, Sliced green onions