The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Our Best Grilled Hamburgers are a cookout classic. Skip the frozen patties and follow our easy, fool-proof, and flavorful tutorial to grill burgers.
You can make one of these burgers for less than buying one at McDonald’s! This recipe makes 8 servings and costs just $1.28 to make per hamburger. The entire recipe costs about $10.26 to make, including the buns!
Grilling hamburgers is an American favorite past-time. We love it any time of the year but especially during the summer months.
You can easily buy frozen patties, but those lack flavor and taste. That is why this is the BEST recipe for grilling hamburgers. It is seasoned to perfection with a rich meaty taste that is grilled just right.
Now you can truly make hamburgers your way! Using pantry staple ingredients, you will have flavorful, juicy burgers on your table for your next BBQ or summer party. We will show you our simple step-by-step directions on easily grilling hamburgers that you can top with your favorite toppings and enjoy this classic All-American meal anytime you want!
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $10.26
PRICE PER SERVING: $1.28
- 2 pounds ground beef – $6.02
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise – $0.80
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions – $0.46
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce – $0.10
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder – $0.15
- 2 Tablespoons paprika – $0.20
- 2 teaspoons onion powder – $0.06
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme – $0.25
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper – $0.14
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano – $0.07
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper – $0.03
- 8 hamburger buns – $1.98
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, mix the ground beef, mayonnaise, dried minced onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Divide into eight equal portions.
- Next, form the portions into round patties. Make a 1/2-inch indentation in the center with your knuckle.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the spice blend. Then rub the burgers on all sides with the spice blend.
- Finally, preheat the grill to 350 degrees. Then cook the burgers on each side for 4-5 minutes and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- You can use lean ground beef, ground sirloin, ground turkey, and even ground Italian sausage in this recipe.
- Sometimes we chop up bacon and cheese chunks and put them directly in the beef patties before they’re cooked on the grill.
- If you don’t like mayo, then you can leave it out. We love how juicy and flavorful it makes the burgers.
Serve: You can keep these grilled hamburgers at room temperature for about an hour before they need to be refrigerated.
Store: Once cooled, store the grilled hamburgers in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Freeze: Wrap cooled hamburgers in two layers of plastic wrap and foil and place them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. They will keep for 3-4 months frozen this way.
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- grilling tools
How do you tell when a burger is done on the grill?
The best way to check when a hamburger is done is to check the internal temperature. When it reaches 120ndegrees F, it is considered rare. Cook the burgers until they reach the desired doneness.
How long do you cook burgers on a gas grill?
After preheating the grill to 350 degrees F. Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Do you grill burgers with the lid open or closed?
To avoid burning the burgers it is best to leave the lid open. The burgers cook so quickly it is not necessary to close the lid like you would when grilling a thicker cut of meat.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Let your little one help mix the ingredients for the dry rub mixture together.
Ages 4-5: Teach proper food handling safety such as washing hands before and after. Then have your child help mix the beef with the other ingredients.
Ages 6-8: Your child can help form the beef mixture into patties and then rub the dry mixture on the patties to prepare for grilling.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire grilled hamburgers recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Use whatever type of beef works for your budget. We like to buy beef in bulk in Costco and then split it into freezer bags to store in the freezer to pull out as needed.
More $10 recipes:
- 20-Minute Thai Peanut Noodles
- BBQ Chicken Braid
- Copycat Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo
- Crockpot Cranberry Meatballs
- Easy Chana Masala
- General Tso Chicken
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes
- Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Inside Out Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Jenna’s Chicken Pillows
- Nacho Fries
- Panda Express Orange Chicken Copycat
- Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner
- Walking Tacos
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- grilling tools
- 2 pounds ground beef get what fits in your budget
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
BURGER SPICE BLEND:
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 ½ Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 hanburger buns
- Cheese slices
MIX AND FORM PATTIES:
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, mayonnaise, dried minced onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Don’t overwork the mixture.
- Divide into eight equal portions.
- Form into round patties and make a ½-inch indentation in the center with your knuckle.
MAKE BURGER SPICE BLEND:
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the spice blend.
- RUB the burgers on all sides with the spice blend.
- Heat your grill to 350 degrees or medium-high heat.
- Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and tent them with foil for 5 minutes.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.