Making asparagus in the oven takes just 20 minutes total. It’s an easy and delicious side dish that’s perfect for spring and Easter dinner.
$4.88 is all it costs to make this easy side dish. It makes six servings for only $0.81 per serving.
Asparagus in the Oven
A side dish that is made in less than twenty minutes is our kind of dish! While you can easily saute or steam asparagus, we think making it in the oven is the best way to cook it.
Roasting it in the asparagus gives you crisp, tender stalks that are seasoned just right. All you need is some asparagus and olive oil, along with some salt and pepper. Throw it in the oven and focus on your main dish while the oven does the work for you!
Do you eat the tips of asparagus?
You can eat the entire asparagus stalk except for the woody end part. Snap it off or use a knife to cut it off. After discarding this part of the spear, you can enjoy eating the rest of it.
Why is my asparagus bitter?
If your asparagus tastes bitter, this is due to it being overcooked. Baking it in the oven for about fifteen minutes should be the perfect timing to cook it just right.
What can you do with asparagus bottoms?
Waste not, want not! Ever feel a tiny bit bad about throwing extra pieces of the asparagus away? We do too! We like to find a use for as much food as possible to get the biggest bang for our buck. One idea to make this vegetable go even further is to save the ends to make an asparagus stock that you can use in other recipes such as soups and sauces.
How to make Asparagus in the Oven recipe:
STEP ONE: First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
STEP TWO: Next, clean and trim the ends of the asparagus. Place them in a single layer on the baking sheet.
STEP THREE: Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR: Finally, bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
The Flavor and Recipe Variations
Serve with lemon wedges and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
How much will this Asparagus in the Oven recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $4.88
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.81
- 1 1/2 pound asparagus – $4.46
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.42
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How long is it good for:
Serve: It’s best to eat the asparagus right after it comes out of the oven. The longer it sits, the limper the asparagus will be.
Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Freeze: Once asparagus is cooked, it does not freeze and defrost well. It will inevitably be limp.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
Ages 2-3: Let your little one help drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus. He/she can also roll the asparagus to help coat it all the way around.
Ages 4-5: Have your child snap off the ends of the asparagus. They will think this is fun!
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let your child try on their own. With your supervision, they can build basic kitchen skills and confidence with easy recipes like this one.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
More Easter Side Dish Recipes:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Easter Bunny Dinner Rolls
- Easy Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- Fresh Green Beans Almondine
- Green Bean Casserole
- How to Dye Easter Eggs
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Large Batch Chicken Pasta Salad (leave out the chicken)
- Mom’s Broccoli Casserole
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Asparagus in the Oven
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- baking sheet
- silicone baking mat
- 1 ½ pound asparagus
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges optional
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Move an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Clean and trim the ends of the asparagus with a knife or snap them off.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and roll the asparagus in olive oil to coat.
- Season asparagus with salt and pepper.
BAKE ASPARAGUS IN THE OVEN:
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. It should be fork tender at the base.
- Remove them from the oven and serve immediately with lemon wedges and Parmesan cheese (optional).