This Naughty Mashed Potatoes Recipe is made with Yukon Gold potatoes, butter, cream, and cream cheese (I told you they were naughty!). They serve 12 people and cost $7.21 to make. They’re the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and family dinners.
Our sister Jenna makes these BOMB DOT COM mashed potatoes. Read the ingredients, and you’ll get why they’re naughty! They’re full of butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream. Oh my!
Jenna LOVES mashed potatoes, especially when they’re creamy. She remembers begging mom to make homemade mashed potatoes. Mom was a working mom with no resources like Easy Budget Recipes to help, so her go-to was potato pearls. Those will do in a pinch but not the best tasting for sure.
Fast forward to college and Jenna went to her first Thanksgiving away from home at a friend’s house and it was there where she had the best mashed potatoes of her life. She told the friend of her love for mashed potatoes and that she needed the recipe. He used whipping cream instead of milk. As Jenna continued on with her love of mashed potatoes she says, “through the years I have tried to make them even better so I started adding in cream cheese and voilà, the perfect naughty mashed potatoes!”
Couldn’t have said it better myself Jenna! Make this mashed potatoes recipe and you will definitely want to wear your Thanksgiving pants like Joey in the show Friends. Or maybe just anytime you make this recipe, haha!
MASHED POTATOES RECIPE QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
To get the creamiest, smoothest, and fluffiest mashed potatoes the best potatoes to use are the higher starch potatoes like Russets or Yukon golds. Using waxy potatoes, like red or white, can lead to potato paste because it takes more mashing to get them to turn creamy. That’s not good for anyone!
How many potatoes do I need for mashed potatoes for 4?
If you use the slider on our recipe card it will show you just how many potatoes you need for the number of people you are serving from 2-20. However, just as a reference you should typically plan on ½ pound of potatoes per person. So for a little math lesson, if you are serving 10 people you would use 5 pounds of potatoes. Or for 4 people you should plan on using 2 pounds of potatoes.
How can I thicken my mashed potatoes?
If you need to thicken the potatoes you can easily add a thickening agent such as flour, cornstarch, or powdered milk. WikiHow provides 3 additional ways to thicken your mashed potatoes through heat. You will find directions for using the stovetop, microwave, and oven to thicken the potatoes.
How to Make Jenna’s Naughty Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
- First, cut the potatoes into cubes and boil them.
- Next, drain the water after the potatoes are soft.
- Then, add in the butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream and mash the potatoes until creamy.
- Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Give them a masher and let them help mash the potatoes. They will love it!
- Ages 4-5: Let them put the additional ingredients into the potatoes and mix them up.
- Ages 6-8: Teach them how to properly wash and clean the potatoes as well as cut them into cubes.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- If you wanted to make these a little less “naughty”, then you can use milk (anything but skim) instead of cream. You can also use low-fat cream cheese, too.
- Sometimes I like to add shredded sharp cheddar cheese instead of cream cheese and add in ¼ cup of chopped chives.
What to Serve with Jenna’s Naughty Mashed Potatoes:
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- One hour Dinner Rolls
- Instant Pot Turkey Gravy
- French-Bread Stuffing Recipe
- Easy Orange Cranberry Sauce
More $10 recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Braid
- Easy Chana Masala
- Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes
- Inside Out Chicken Pot Pie
- Italian Zucchini Boats
- Jenna’s Chicken Pillows
- Meatball Subs
How long is this good for:
- Serve: As with most recipes with dairy products in them, you shouldn’t leave these out for longer than 2 hours. I doubt they will last that long anyway!
- Store: Store the potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Mashed potatoes are definitely freezer friendly. Place them in a large Ziploc bag and store them in the freezer. They are best if used within one month.
How much will this Mashed Potatoes Recipe cost:
RECIPE COST: $7.21
PER SERVING COST: $0.61
To find out more on how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes – $3.47
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter – $0.80
- 4 ounces cream cheese – $0.98
- 2 cups heavy cream – $1.94
- Salt and pepper to taste – $0.02
AMAZON ASSOCIATES DISCLOSURE
Easy Budget Recipes is a participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep us on budget!
- cutting board
- vegetable peeler
- chef's knife
- large pot
- potato masher
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover the potatoes in water. Place the pot on the burner and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to boil for 10-14 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them to the pot.
- Add in the butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream and mash the potatoes and creamy.
- Season the mashed potatoes with salt and pepper and then serve.