The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Pineapple Fried Rice is a quick and easy dinner recipe that is flavorful and an excellent way for using up leftover ham.
For less than $10, you can enjoy this delicious side dish. It costs about $9.55 to make six servings or $1.59 per serving.
Use up that leftover ham from our Copycat Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham to make this Pineapple Fried Rice.
Fried Rice With Pineapple
We love when we get to make a new meal out of leftovers from another dinner. This Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is the perfect way to create an entirely new dish with your leftover Easter ham. Because, honestly, you can only eat so many ham sandwiches!
This dish combines sweet pineapple and a spicy sriracha-based sauce and many other veggies, ham, and rice. The ingredients are fried with eggs in one skillet creating a quick and easy weeknight meal.
You’ll love the bright and colorful dish that has a tropical feel. This Fried Rice recipe with pineapple is our take on a classic take-out dish that is tastier and healthier than take-out!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- ¼ cup soy sauce – $0.16
- 3 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil – $0.30
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Sriracha sauce – $0.03
- 1 ½ Tablespoon vegetable oil – $0.04
- 2 ¼ cups ham – $2.86
- 1 large red bell pepper – $1.38
- 6 green onions – $0.20
- 1 large yellow onion – $0.62
- 5 large garlic cloves – $0.25
- 1 ½ Tablespoon fresh ginger – $0.03
- 3 large eggs – $0.51
- 6 cups long-grain white rice – $2.34
- 1 ½ cups fresh pineapple – $0.83
To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
HOW TO MAKE PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
- First, make the sauce in a small bowl by whisking together the soy sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha. Set the bowl aside.
- Next, using a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and then add the ham, bell pepper, green onion whites, and yellow onion and cook for about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Then, add the eggs to the skillet and stir them into the other ingredients, constantly stirring for about three minutes, until the eggs are cooked.
- Add the rice and soy sauce and stir until it is mixed together.
- Finally, turn off the heat and stir in the pineapple and remaining green onions before serving.
***For complete instructions, see the recipe card below.
RECIPE VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Make this vegetarian by taking out the protein. Or switch out the ham for another protein such as shrimp or chicken.
- Instead of white rice of you can use brown rice or Jasmine rice.
SERVE: You can keep the fried rice out for about two hours before it needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
STORE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for five days.
FREEZE: Place the cooled rice in a freezer-safe container or zipper-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
DEFROST: Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
REHEAT: Place the Pineapple Fried Rice in a microwave-safe dish and re-heat on HIGH in the microwave for 1-minute. Stir and repeat until heated through.
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Large skillet
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl
If you do not have soy sauce, you can substitute Tamari, Worcestershire sauce, or fish sauce. However, please note, it will alter the overall taste of the recipe.
Our Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is made of ham, pineapple, veggies, and long-grain white rice, all covered in a savory sauce.
GET KIDS INVOLVED
Ages 2-3: Have your child help mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Practice counting skills with them as they count the number of ingredients put into the bowl.
Ages 4-5: While teaching proper stovetop safety, ask your child to help add and stir the ingredients together in the skillet.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child how to properly crack an egg and then let them stir them into the mixture. When making the rice for this recipe, you can show them how to fluff it.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Using leftovers from one meal to create another is an excellent budget-saving option. After making our Copycat Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham, use the leftovers to make this Pineapple Fried Rice and our Leftover Ham and Bean Soup.
MORE $10 RECIPES
- Healthy Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Chicken Parmesan Subs
- Best Grilled Hamburgers
- Chicken and Waffle Tacos
- Copycat General Tso Chicken
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Crockpot Cranberry Meatballs
- 20-Minute Thai Peanut Noodles
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
Pineapple Fried Rice
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- large skillet
- mixing spoon
- measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- small mixing bowl
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
FOR FRIED RICE:
- 1 ½ Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ¼ cups chopped ham
- 1 large red bell pepper stemmed seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 green onions white parts minced green parts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 5 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 6 cups cooked long-grain white rice cooled to room temperature
- 1 ½ cup fresh pineapple cut into ½-inch dice
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha and set aside.
MAKE FRIED RICE:
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add ham, bell pepper, green onion whites, and yellow onion and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 7-9 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add eggs to the skillet and stir them into the other ingredients.
- Stir constantly until eggs are cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and soy sauce mixture to skillet, stir until combined, and rice is heated through.
- Turn off heat and stir in pineapple and remaining green onions.
- Serve immediately.