The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Few cookie combinations evoke the spirit of the holidays quite like the blend of peppermint and chocolate. These delectable soft and chewy Peppermint Chocolate Cookies will tantalize your taste buds.
It costs approximately $5.15 to make these cookies. The recipe makes seventeen cookies and costs around $0.30 per cookie.
If you love baking during the holiday season but do not love making a mess in the kitchen, this recipe is for you!
Our simple recipe gives you everything you need to create perfect cookies without the hassle. These are great for Christmas cookie trays, a cookie swap, or holiday get-togethers.
What You’ll Love About These Peppermint Chocolate Cookies:
- Easy Recipe: No one needs a complicated recipe to figure out during the busy holiday season. It’s so simple you don’t even need a rolling pin!
- Seasonal Flavor: Peppermint is a classic holiday flavor, and these cookies are bursting with peppermint flavor. The rich chocolate flavor paired with the cool peppermint is ideal for holiday parties.
- Soft Texture: These cookies have extra soft centers with chewy edges and a creamy frosting.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- ½ & ⅓ cup butter – $1.87
- ¾ cup of brown sugar – $0.42
- 1 teaspoon vanilla – $0.46
- 1 egg – $0.23
- ½ teaspoon baking powder – $0.02
- 1 cup flour – $0.12
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder – $0.23
- ½ cup melted semisweet chocolate chips – $0.58
- 2 Tablespoons milk – $0.04
- 2 cups powdered sugar – $0.80
- 2-3 Tablespoons whipping cream – $0.18
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract – $0.10
- 1 candy cane – $0.10
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in November 2023.
How To Make Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Then, mix the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Next, melt the chocolate in the microwave in twenty-second intervals.
- Add the vanilla, baking powder, egg, flour, cocoa, milk, and melted chocolate into the butter mixture and beat together.
- Scoop the dough onto the baking sheets with a medium cookie scoop, slightly flattening the cookie dough balls.
- Bake one sheet at a time for twelve to fourteen minutes, then cool the cookies on the baking sheets for five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Next, beat the softened butter in a large bowl until creamy.
- Then, add one cup of powdered sugar, peppermint extract, milk, and then the rest of the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Finally, put the buttercream frosting into a piping bag and swirl the frosting on top of the cookies.
- Sprinkle the cookies with crushed candy cane pieces before serving.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Storage Tips:
STORE: Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.
FREEZE: You can freeze these cookies, but do so without the crushed candy cane on top. To freeze, place the cookies on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, about 2 hours. Then, transfer the cookies to a freezer-safe container and separate layers of the cookies with parchment paper. Freeze for 2-3 months.
THAW: Thaw the cookies at room temperature.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe FAQs:
One cookie has 247 calories. For the complete nutritional information, see the bottom of the recipe card.
Using milk in this recipe helps create a soft and chewy texture as it adds a bit of moisture to the cookies so they do not become dry during the baking process.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: As you scoop the cookie dough, involve your child by practicing their counting skills. They can count while you scoop. Repeat counting as you slightly flatten each dough mound.
Ages 4-5: Introduce the concept of fractions as your child helps to measure the ingredients for the recipe.
Ages 6-8: Let your child pipe the frosting onto each cookie and sprinkle the tops with crushed candy canes. This is a hands-on activity they will enjoy as they use their creativity with the finishing touches on each cookie.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Peppermint Cookies Budget Tip:
During the holiday season, look for sales on staple baking ingredients such as flour, butter, brown sugar, and cocoa powder. We stock up when these items go on sale to prepare for baking season.
More Christmas Recipes:
Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
- stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- baking sheets
- wire racks
- Microwave-safe bowl
- 2 Tablespoon Cookie scoop
- ½ cup of softened Butter
- ¾ cup of Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- ½ teaspoon of Baking powder
- 1 cup of Flour
- ¼ cup of unsweetened Cocoa powder
- ½ cup of Melted chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons of milk
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons of Whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon Peppermint extract
- 1 candy cane crushed
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEETS:
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
MAKE COOKIE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamed.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals.
- Add the vanilla, baking powder, egg, flour, cocoa, milk, and melted chocolate into the butter mixture.
- Beat until combined.
SCOOP AND BAKE COOKIES:
- Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the batter on the prepared baking sheets.
- Flatten the cookie dough mounds slightly.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 12 to 14 minutes or until set.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
MAKE PEPPERMINT BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter until creamy.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar, then peppermint extract, milk, and then the rest of the powdered sugar.
- Beat for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the buttercream frosting into a piping bag, and make swirls on top of the cookie.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.