The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Impress your friends and family with these juicy, smoky, delicious grilled turkey legs. It’s an easy recipe for beginning grill masters and beyond.
This recipe costs around $15.33 to make. It makes six servings, which costs about $2.55 per serving.
Our recipe is a fun twist for Thanksgiving when you do not want to make a traditional turkey. With only five minutes of prep time, you will have more time to work on the rest of your Thanksgiving dinner.
The easy rub gives you rich and flavorful meat that is beyond delicious. Cooking the turkey legs on the grill creates an irresistible crispy skin. Follow our step-by-step directions as we walk you through how to make this Turkey Leg recipe.
No more going to the local fair to get your fix for turkey legs or waiting until Thanksgiving! Once you see how simple it is to make these Caveman Pops, you will want them year-round!
What You’ll Love About Grilled Turkey Legs:
- Easy Grilling Technique: Even if you are a beginner with grilling recipes, this is an easy one to start with! The process is simple to follow, with excellent results every single time.
- Simple Preparation: It only takes five minutes to prepare this recipe!
- Versatile: This recipe is fabulous for Thanksgiving but is perfect for summer BBQs, family gatherings, game day events, or any other occasion.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 6 turkey legs – $13.44
- ½ cup unsalted butter – $1.12
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt – $0.18
- 1 Tablespoon coarse black pepper – $0.15
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika – $0.23
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder – $0.11
- 1 teaspoon dried basil – $0.10
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in November 2023.
How To Grill Turkey Legs
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, mix the melted butter and seasonings.
- Then, brush the butter mixture over the turkey legs.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F, and then spray the turkey legs to come to room temperature.
- Set the legs on the grill, rotating them a quarter turn every five minutes.
- Turn the grill to 300 degrees F and cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Rotate the legs every five minutes while cooking.
- Finally, remove the turkey legs from the grill and allow them to rest for five to ten minutes before serving.
Turkey Leg Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- BBQ Turkey Legs: Brush the turkey legs with your favorite barbecue sauce in the last 10 minutes of grilling.
- Lemon Pepper Turkey Legs: Add lemon juice and lemon pepper to the butter mixture for a tangy flavor.
- Chili Turkey Legs: Sprinkle chili powder on the turkey legs before grilling for a mild kick.
- Mexican-Inspired Turkey Legs: Incorporate Mexican-inspired spices such as ground cumin and coriander.
SERVE: You can leave these out for no more than two hours before they need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Store grilled turkey legs in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Store them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
FREEZE: Freeze for up to 3 months. To freeze them, wrap them individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer bags. When ready to thaw them, place them in the refrigerator overnight or thaw them on low in the microwave.
Turkey Leg Recipe FAQs
If you have leftover turkey legs, reheat them in the microwave for about 2-5 minutes. To avoid the legs from drying out, try placing a slightly damp paper towel over the turkey legs.
Our favorite way to reheat turkey legs is in the Air Fryer, which helps crisp up the skin, unlike reheating in a microwave. Lightly spray the basket with cooking spray and cook for five to seven minutes at 350 degrees F.
The legs can be tough and dry if not cooked long enough. And be sure not to skip the butter rub step, as this helps create moist turkey legs as well.
Turkey legs can burn if they are overcooked. That is why consistently turning the turkey legs while grilling them is so important. It helps crisp up the skin on all sides of the turkey legs and ensures they are cooked evenly and not overcooked.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Print out the recipe and have your child check off each step as you complete it. This will help keep them engaged as they learn about the cooking process.
Ages 4-5: Ask your child to measure the ingredients for the rub mixture, mix it, and show them how to brush it onto the turkey legs.
Ages 6-8: This is a fantastic opportunity to introduce your child to the science of grilling. Show them how you start the grill to preheat, discuss why you turn the turkey legs, and how the heat cooks the food.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Grilled Turkey Legs Budget Tips
Use any leftovers from these turkey legs to make some delicious Turkey Sandwiches the next day for a whole new meal.
More Grill Recipes
- Barbeque Grilled Chicken Breast
- Pork Kabobs Grill
- Easy Ribs on the Grill
- Grilled Kielbasa
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Italian Sausage on the Grill
- Marinated Pork Chops On Gas Grill
- Turkey Burgers On Pellet Grill
- How To Grill Strip Steak On A Gas Grill
Grilled Turkey Legs
- gas grill
- small bowl
- mixing spoon
- pastry brush
- 6 turkey legs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Cooking Spray
SEASON THE TURKEY LEGS:
- Combine melted butter and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Brush the butter mixture onto the turkey legs and set aside.
- Allow the turkey legs to come to room temperature while you preheat the grill to 400° F.
GRILL TURKEY LEGS:
- Spray the entire turkey leg with cooking spray and place it directly onto the grill over direct heat.
- Repeat with the remaining turkey legs.
- Rotate the legs a quarter turn every 5 minutes to sear the outside of the legs.
- Turn the grill down to 300° F (indirect heat) and cook until the internal temperature is 165° F. Continue to rotate legs every 5 minutes while cooking.
- Remove the turkey legs from the grill.
- Allow them to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.