The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
There’s comfort in every bite with this Chicken Noodle Casserole. Tender chicken, hearty noodles, and creamy goodness make for a satisfying classic reimagined.
It costs approximately $8.90 to make this casserole. The recipe makes six servings and costs about $1.48 per serving.
Casseroles are a vintage All-American classic dish that has withstood the test of time. They are simple to make, feed the whole family, and cost-effective.
This Chicken Noodle Casserole will become your new go-to recipe for casseroles. It is full of tender noodles, savory chicken, and delicious peas mixed in a creamy base topped with cheese to create a comforting dish that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy.
Chicken Noodle Casserole is fantastic for busy weeknights when you have lots to do but still need a simple, hearty, satisfying dinner on the table.
What You’ll Love About Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Filling: This dish is not only satisfying but is also extremely filling. Serve it before you head out for kids’ activities for the evening. It will hold everyone over for the night with its homey goodness.
- Simple Preparation: A casserole is easy to assemble, making it a fabulous option for busy weeknights.
- Crowd-Pleasing: Take this dish to a potluck or family gathering, or add it to your weekly menu rotation. No matter where or when you serve it, it always goes quickly.
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 12 oz bag egg noodles – $2.12
- 2 cups cooked chicken – $1.99
- 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup – $1.00
- ½ cup sour cream – $0.57
- ⅓ cup milk – $0.05
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.02
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper – $0.01
- 1 cup frozen peas – $0.63
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese – $2.49
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained. The pricing for this recipe was updated in September 2023.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, follow the directions on the box and cook the noodles. Drain the noodles when done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Next, whisk together the soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings using a large bowl.
- Then, stir in the chicken, cooked noodles, peas, and cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
- Finally, remove the foil and bake for another five to ten minutes before serving.
Chicken Noodle Casserole Storage and Serving Tips
Serve: Garnish with fresh herbs or grated cheese if desired, and serve it while it’s hot.
Store: If you have leftovers, let the casserole cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator and consume it within 3-4 days.
Freeze: To freeze the casserole, use a freezer-safe container or wrap it tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Label the container with the date for reference. Chicken noodle casserole can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months. Remember that pasta dishes may slightly change texture after thawing and reheating, but the flavor will remain intact.
Thaw: When it’s time to enjoy your frozen casserole, plan ahead for thawing. The safest way is to place it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before reheating. This slow thawing method ensures even thawing without compromising the texture or taste.
Reheat: To reheat the chicken noodle casserole, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) or use a microwave if you’re in a hurry. If reheating in the oven, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out. Reheat for about 20-30 minutes or until the center is piping hot. For the microwave, heat individual portions on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally for even heating.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Ask your child to help mix and stir the soup, sour cream, and milk. This is a fabulous way to get them involved in a tactile activity and be involved in an important recipe step.
Ages 4-5: Let your child sprinkle the cheese on the final layer of the casserole. They can pre-measure the cheese before sprinkling it over the casserole.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child to layer the ingredients in a casserole. Once they master this skill, they can help with various other recipes that require layering in the directions.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
We prefer purchasing our chicken in bulk from a warehouse store like Costco. It may cost more upfront but costs less in the long run.
More Main Dish Recipes
- Taco Casserole
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Chicken Taco Rice Casserole
- Baked Penne
- Ham and Noodle Casserole
- Meatball Stroganoff
- Cheeseburger French Fry Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Baked Spaghetti
- Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowl
- 13×9-inch baking dish
- 12 oz bag uncooked egg noodles
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk whole or 2%
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Cook noodles according to package direction, drain, and set aside.
PREP OVEN AND BAKING DISH:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
PUT IT TOGETHER:
- Whisk together soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Stir in the chicken, cooked noodles, peas, and 1 cup cheese until well blended.
- Pour into a prepared baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle it with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, take the foil off, and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.