This easy Homemade Italian Dressing recipe is packed with seasonings and so much flavor. You’ll never go back to bottled dressing again!
This recipe makes two cups of dressing for about $3.75. That works out to be only $0.23 per serving.
For another fantastic salad dressing, you can make at home, check out our Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe.
Italian Dressing is a staple in our kitchen. It is delicious on top of salads, as a marinade, or on top of raw veggies. We love the tangy flavor of this dressing.
We enjoy making it homemade instead of storebought because of how fresh it tastes. With some basic ingredients, you can make this zesty and fresh dressing in just a matter of minutes.
Ingredients and Cost
RECIPE COST: $3.75
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.23
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning – $0.78
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes – $0.04
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese – $0.49
- 1 ½ cups olive oil – $1.92
- ½ cup red wine vinegar – $0.52
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
- First, mix together seasonings and cheese.
- Next, slowly whisk together the vinegar and oil.
- Finally, season the dressing with salt and pepper. Chill before using.
Serve: You can keep the dressing out for about two hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
Store: Keep the dressing in a storage container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Freeze: This dressing does not freeze and defrost well. Therefore, we do not recommend freezing it.
The name comes from the ingredients in the dressing. The oregano, basil, and garlic herbs found in the Italian Seasoning mixed with the red wine vinegar and oil make up this salad dressing.
Our recipe uses the following ingredients: Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Guide their hands as you teach them how to use a whisk to mix the ingredients together.
Ages 4-5: Teach your child how to measure and pour the ingredients into the mixing bowl. Teach them to check their measurements before pouring.
Ages 6-8: This is a great recipe to let your child try on their own. The recipe is easy enough to follow, and they can make it while you work on dinner.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Easy Hummus
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- Cinnamon Honey Butter
- Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
Homemade Zesty Italian Dressing
- measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 2 Tablespoons italian seasoning homemade or store bought
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together seasonings and cheese.
- Slowly whisk in vinegar and oil until well combined.
- Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dressing to a jar with a lid.
- Chill the dressing for at least 2 hours before using.