The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Juicy, flavorful, and smoky grilled brats are perfect for any BBQ party. So fire up the grill and indulge in this mouthwatering classic.
It costs approximately $11.46 to make these Grilled Brats. The recipe makes six servings for about $1.91 per serving.
So many things go well with grilled brats, including Grilled Potatoes in Foil as a side dish and Grilled Peaches topped with ice cream for dessert!
Grilling Brats is a popular summer food perfect for BBQs with friends and family, tailgating, game day, lazy Saturday afternoons, or any other occasion. These brats are juicy and savory, with a slightly smoky flavor from being grilled over an open flame. The texture is crispy on the outside, with a tender inside bursting with flavor in every bite.
We love to top our brats with some grilled veggies to enhance the flavor of the brats further. So whether you enjoy the brat plain, on a bun with mustard and ketchup, or with grilled veggies, Grilled Brats are a summer necessity that needs to be on your menu rotation!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 6 bratwurst sausages – $7.19
- ½ large yellow onion – $0.39
- ½ large red bell pepper – $0.62
- ½ large green bell pepper – $0.62
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.22
- 6 large hot dog buns – $2.42
The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. Check out Budget Recipes Explained to learn more about how we price our recipes. The pricing for this recipe was updated in May 2023.
How To Grill Brats
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Then, toss onion, bell peppers, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until evenly coated.
- Next, place your veggies on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft and slightly charred. Feel free to use a grill basket if you like.
- Then, remove the cooked vegetables from the grill and set aside. Add your bratwursts.
- Grill the bratwursts until they have grill marks on all sides and are cooked through, which should take 10-12 minutes.
- Let the brats rest for a few minutes once they are fully cooked.
- Toast your buns on the grill until charred and crispy. (optional)
- Assemble your brats by placing one in each bun and top with grilled vegetables. Add additional toppings if desired.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of bratwurst, you may substitute with knockwurst.
- Use toppings you like, including mustard, sauerkraut, ketchup, or relish.
- Skip the grilled vegetables if you do not enjoy them.
- Top with a Creamy Homemade Coleslaw for more texture and flavor.
SERVE: Enjoy these brats after resting. Within 1 hour of grilling, make sure you store the brats in the refrigerator.
STORE: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a resealable bag. They still stay fresh for up to 4 days.
REHEAT: Wrap them with aluminum foil to reheat your brats and place them in a 350-degree oven for about 8 minutes or until warm.
Yes! You can simmer them in a saucepan of beer and then finish them on the grill so they get grill marks and charred flavor.
The most important part of grilling is understanding what direct and indirect heat can do. Direct heat, or right over the flame, is where you will get the most char. The indirect heat is where you will want to move the bratwursts after they get their grill marks. This is so they can continue to cook through without burning. Use a thermometer to check for doneness. The internal temperature of your bratwursts should reach 160 degrees F.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Begin teaching your little ones how to set the table. They can help gather the correct number of utensils, plates, cups, and napkins for everyone and place them around the table.
Ages 4-5: Teach your child about proper food safety and handling. Discuss the importance of washing your hands and food. For example, kids can wash the vegetables used as toppings for the brats.
Ages 6-8: Your child can begin learning the grilling basics. They can help place the brats on the grill or help flip them with tongs.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe unsupervised while you do the happy dance in the corner!
- Buy the brats in bulk: Purchasing brats in larger quantities often results in lower unit prices.
- Do not go overboard with toppings: It can be tempting to load up your brats with all sorts of toppings which can quickly add up in cost. Instead, stick with the basics like sauerkraut, mustard, and onions which generally cost less than other toppings.
- Serve with inexpensive sides like grilled veggies.
- Shop for deals: Check your local grocery store’s weekly ad for sales on brats. There are usually sales throughout the summer, especially around the Fourth of July.
More Grilling Recipes
- Best Grilled Hamburgers
- Foolproof Grilled Ribs
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts
- The Best Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Pork Kabobs On A Gas Grill
- Hotdog Burnt Ends
- grilling tools
- Grill basket
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- large bowl
- 6 bratwurst sausages
- ½ large yellow onion thinly sliced
- ½ large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ large green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large hot dog buns
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, toss onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until they are softened and slightly charred, about 5-7 minutes. **see notes
- Remove the veggies from the grill and set aside.
- Grill bratwursts until they are cooked through and have grill marks on all sides, about 10-12 minutes. Turn the bratwursts every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Once the bratwursts are fully cooked, remove them from the grill and rest for a few minutes.
- Toast the buns on the grill until they are slightly charred and crispy.
- To assemble the brats, place a bratwurst in each bun, then top with the grilled vegetables and any other desired toppings.
Leave a Reply