This easy Chana Masala recipe is vegan-friendly and healthy, too! It serves 6 people and costs just $7.83 to make and $1.31 per serving!
Servings: 6 people
small food processor
pot to cook the rice in
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 5 large garlic cloves, pressed (or 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 medium Serrano pepper, seeded and chopped fine (or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 32 oz jar pasta sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 15- ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges
In a small food processor, puree the garlic and serrano pepper; set aside.
In a medium pot add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion, ground ginger, and cumin and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is softened and beginning to brown around the edges.
Stir in the garlic mixture, coriander, garam masala, and turmeric. Continue to stir while the mixture cooks for 1 minute.
Stir in pasta sauce, water, and chickpeas. Turn heat to high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Calories: 534kcal | Carbohydrates: 100g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 811mg | Potassium: 1050mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 702IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 7mg