Mini Apple Pies
This Mini Apple Pies recipe is made in Mason jar lids! They're delicious, SO cute, and versatile. Grab the kids; they'll love making this simple and fun recipe with you.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 medium granny smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 roll of refrigerated pie crust
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
FOR SERVING: (optional)
- Ice-cream or whipped cream
- Caramel Sauce
MAKE APPLE PIE FILLING:
Peel and core the apples. Then, chop them into ½-inch pieces.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
Once the foaming has subsided, add apples and salt—Cook for 3 minutes.
Stir in brown sugar, spices, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Continue cook, stirring continually, until the apples are soft and the sauce is sticky about 1-2 minutes.
Transfer the filling to a bowl to cool while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
PREP PIE DOUGH:
Flour a clean and dry work surface, and unroll the pie dough onto the floured surface.
Cut out 6 rounds with a 3-inch cookie cutter or a drinking glass with a diameter of 3-inches.
Turn the inserts of all the Mason jar lids so that the rubber side is facing down and the shiny metal side is facing up.
Place a dough round in each of the lids and press the dough rounds into the lids. Make sure you bring up the sides of the dough to cover the sides of the rings.
Cut the remaining pie dough into 18 thin strips that each are 3-inches long. You will need 6 strips per mini pie.
Place 2 teaspoons of apple pie filling into each ring and spread it into an even layer.
Cover the pie filling with the pie dough strips, making a lattice pattern (over and under) as you go.
Place the pie rings on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each mini pie with melted butter and sprinkle each with turbinado sugar (or granulated sugar if using).
BAKE AND COOL:
Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and the filling is bubbling a little.
Move the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
Unmold the mini pies from the Mason jar rings.
- If you’re short on time, then you can use canned apple pie filling.
- If there is no dough left to make the dough strip to make the lattice pattern, gather the scrap dough into a ball and roll it out and cut it into strips.
- In case you want to use an extra-wide Mason jar ring, you will get 4 mini apple pie from 1 roll of pie crust.
Serving: 1mini pie | Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 267mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 208IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg