Christmas Beef Chuck Roast
This Christmas Beef Chuck Roast Recipe is juicy, tender, and packed with great flavor thanks to the rub and brown gravy made with the pan drippings.
Servings: 8 people
Large cast-iron skillet
- 5 pounds center-cut boneless beef chuck-eye roast
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup beef drippings from the roasting pan
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
MAKE RUB & RUB ROAST:
Whisk together all of the rub ingredients in a small prep bowl.
Rub the roast all over with the rub, and then let the roast sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
ROAST IN OVEN:
Place the roast on the prepared roasting pan and put it in the preheated 500 degrees F oven. Turn the oven off completely and let it cook for about 2-2 ½ hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
Loosely cover the top and sides of the roast with aluminum foil while you make the brown gravy.
MAKE BROWN GRAVY:
Add the beef dripping to a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for 3 minutes.
Slowly pour in the beef broth while you continue to whisk. Keep whisking until the gravy has thickened a little, about 1-2 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and season the gravy to taste with salt and pepper (the gravy will thicken as it cools). Transfer the gravy to a gravy boat
- In our experience, we rarely see large chuck roasts like this one in the supermarket's refrigerator section. We almost always have to ask the butcher at the meat counter to cut us a 5-6 pound center-cut boneless beef chuck-eye roast.
- We have seen this cut of chuck roast at Costco around the holidays.
- This recipe will also work for other beef roasts like a beef bottom round roast, eye round roast, New York strip roast, or a ribeye roast.
Calories: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 1046mg | Potassium: 1004mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 468IU | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 6mg