Frog Eye Salad (Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad)
Frog Eye Salad, or Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad, is a sweet vintage pasta salad served as a side dish or dessert during holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and Summer BBQs.
Servings: 12 people
Liquid measuring cup
- 16 ounces acini di pepe pasta
- 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups pineapple juice use the drained juice from the pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple
FRUIT AND FLUFF:
- 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits drained juice is used earlier in the recipe
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple drained juice used earlier in the recipe
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
GARNISHES (all optional):
- Additional Cool Whip
- Additional mandarin slices
- Maraschino cherries
MAKE PINEAPPLE PUDDING:
Add the pudding packet to a medium bowl. Pour in pineapple juice. Whisk until combined. Chill for 10 minutes.
Once the pasta has cooled, add the pudding to the pasta and stir to combine.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but overnight is better.
ADD IN FRUIT AND FLUFF:
Add Cool Whip to a medium bowl and whisk in the marshmallow creme until incorporated.
Transfer the pasta mixture to a large serving bowl. Fold in Cool Whip mixture, drained fruit, marshmallows, and coconut.
Serving: 0.75cup | Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 98mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 547IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg