This Pizza Grilled Cheese is a super easy recipe that the kids can make themselves! This recipe serves 6 and costs $5.12 to make. That’s just 85¢ per serving!
Nothing screams American classic like a good old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich. Am I right? It just brings back memories of my childhood. I remember my mom making grilled cheese sandwiches and serving it with a bowl of tomato soup on busy school nights. I just loved it, it was pure comfort food.
If there was a competition for the ultimate American comfort food, I think the front runners would be grilled cheese and pizza.
Growing up we had pizza every Saturday night after working in the yard and around the house all day. We would then gather around the table for some pizza that always seemed to taste so good after a day of chores. It was such a treat.
We have carried both traditions of serving Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on busy nights and Pizza on Saturdays after chores in our home. You know what I love about traditions? I love old traditions and I love new traditions. What I love even more is when two traditions collide.
The birth of pizza grilled cheese
Making the same old grilled cheese can get a little borning. That’s why we decided to combine it with another classic comfort food dish, pizza!
We know from past experience that a mash-up of two comfort foods is always a good choice. Check out our Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes to see what we are talking about. Today we are combing Grilled Cheese and Pizza into one AMAZING sandwich!
Make this recipe and you will see that Grilled Cheese and Pizza belong together just as much as bread and butter do! The melted cheese combined with the yummy sauce and pepperoni in between two pieces of crispy bread grilled to perfection creates the perfect marriage of flavors. In fact, Pizza Grilled Cheese is so tasty, you will wonder why you waited so long to combine these classic comfort meals!
What we ultimately love about this dish is that kids can make it themselves. Watch the video in this post of Jill’s 10-year-old daughter making this recipe all on her own.
What is good with grilled cheese?
Grab a bag of salad and some carrot sticks and you’ve got yourself a meal. Some French fries would also be yummy alongside this dish.
What is the best cheese for grilled cheese?
Next to ice cream, cheese is one of my most favorite things to eat! I love all kinds of cheese and will put almost any kind on my grilled cheese sandwich depending on the taste that I’m looking to get from the sandwich.
Colby is a good choice for a classic sandwich. Provolone gives a more Italian taste to your sandwich. For this pizza grilled cheese it was clear that the best choice of cheese to use was mozzarella to give the full pizza feel.
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe:
- First, make the garlic butter.
- Then, preheat a 10-inch skillet on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
- Next, prep the sandwiches by brushing one side with garlic butter. Then flip the pieces of bread over and top with pizza sauce and evenly spread it over the bread. Add pepperoni and mozzarella cheese to each.
- Place another piece of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Cook the sandwiches, garlic butter side down, for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, transfer the grilled cheese to a plate and cut in half and serve.
How to get the kids involved with this recipe:
- Ages 2-3: Let them help by measuring the ingredients to make the garlic butter. They’ll also love helping you brush the butter mixture onto the first 6 slices of bread.
- Ages 4-5: Let them help measure 1 Tablespoon of pizza sauce for each sandwich. Show them how to gently spread the sauce onto the bread with the back of a spoon.
- Ages 6-8: Have them add the pepperoni and cheese to each sandwich.
- Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
- Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
Discover why we love getting the kids involved in the kitchen and more tips in our How to Get Kids Involved In Cooking article.
The flavor and Recipe Variations:
- Try switching out the pepperoni for other tasty toppings such as sausage or Canadian bacon.
More Pizza Recipes:
More $5 Recipes:
- Best Homemade White Bread
- Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Chocolate Wacky Cake
- Corn Muffins
- Crock Pot Greek Yogurt
- Dry Roasted Chickpeas
- Eggs Benedict Breakfast Braid
- French Toast with Blueberry Syrup
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Mango Banana Smoothie
How long is a Pizza Grilled Cheese good for:
- Serve: These can stay at room temperature for up to 2 hours, but they’ll be cold. You’ll want to eat them immediately after coming off the stovetop.
- Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. They won’t be as crisp (might actually be a little soggy). Re-crisp by placing in a pan over low heat for 4-6 minutes.
- Freeze: If you’re going to freeze these, we recommend freezing them before they are cooked. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid, about 2 hours. Then, transfer the sandwiches to a freezer-safe bag. You can keep them in the freezer like this for 2-3 months.
How much will this cost:
RECIPE COST: $5.12
PRICE PER SERVING: $0.85
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.80
- 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil – $0.14
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning – $0.13
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 12 slices white bread – $1.30
- 6 Tablespoons pizza sauce – $0.33
- 36 pepperoni slices – $0.69
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese – $1.72
To find out more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 10-inch skillet
- measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- mixing spoon
- small microwave-safe bowl
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 slices white bread
- 6 Tablespoons pizza sauce
- 36 pepperoni slices
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
MAKE GARLIC BUTTER:
- In a small microwave-safe bowl add butter and melt in the microwave.
- Stir in olive oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Place a 10-inch skillet or pan on the stovetop and preheat it over medium-low heat while you prep the sandwiches.
PREP GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES:
- Place 6 pieces of white bread on a cutting board. Brush one side with the garlic butter.
- Flip the pieces of bread over and top each with 1 Tablespoon of pizza sauce. Use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce.
- Add 6 slices of pepperoni to each piece of bread followed by ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese to each.
- Place another piece of bread on top of each of the sandwiches.
COOK GRILLED CHEESE:
- Place a sandwich, garlic butter side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer the grilled cheese to a plate and cut in half.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and then serve.