Who knew dinner could be this easy with this Cheeseburger French Fry Casserole? Five ingredients and 30 minutes to bake are all you need for this weeknight meal.
This recipe costs approximately $12.43 to make. It makes eight servings for about $1.55 per serving.
If your family loves cheeseburgers and french fries, they will LOVE this recipe. This recipe combines the flavors of two separate dishes into one mouth-watering delicious meal! It is comfort food at its finest.
We love making casseroles because they are budget-friendly, kid-friendly, and feed a crowd. This casserole is like eating a cheesy hamburger without the buns. Instead, the crispy fries combine with the cheesy ground beef to create an irresistible flavor explosion.
This Cheeseburger Casserole with French Fries is the perfect meal for busy weeknights or when you do not know what else to make!
Ingredients & Estimated Cost:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef – $6.66
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of mushroom soup – $1.16
- 26-ounce bag frozen crinkle-cut French fries – $2.29
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce – $0.10
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – $2.22
To learn more about how we price our recipes, check out Budget Recipes Explained.
How to Make Cheeseburger French Fry Casserole
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Then spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, spread the fries on the baking sheet and bake for twenty minutes.
- Then, brown the beef in a pan and drain the excess grease. Stir in the soup and steak sauce.
- Let the sauce simmer for two to three minutes, and then spread the meat on the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan.
- Spread the fries over the meat and top with cheese.
- Finally, bake for ten minutes and serve immediately.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of cream of mushroom soup, you can use condensed cheddar soup.
- To fancy this casserole up, we sometimes like to throw some shredded lettuce, chopped white onion, chopped tomatoes, and chopped pickles on top.
SERVE: As with most recipes with dairy products, you shouldn’t leave this casserole out for longer than 2 hours.
STORE: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for five days.
FREEZE: We do not recommend freezing this recipe because the french fried become overcooked when they are reheated.
Yes, you can cook the fries in a casserole dish, but we recommend baking them first to get them nice and crispy before adding them to the casserole dish with the other ingredients. We find when you bake them in the casserole, they’re way too soggy for our tastes.
Get Kids Involved
Ages 2-3: Your little one can help spread the french fries over the meat mixture and sprinkle on the cheese. A fun counting activity might be to try to count the number of fries as they are on the baking sheet.
Ages 4-5: Have your child help pour the ingredients into the meat and stir to combine. Simple tasks like this will help build their confidence in the kitchen.
Ages 6-8: Teach your child how to use a meat masher to break up the beef to brown it. They can also assist with adding the casserole layers to the baking dish.
Ages 9-11: Supervise them while they prepare the entire recipe. Remember to have them read it twice before beginning the recipe.
Ages 12+: Let them prepare the entire recipe, unsupervised, while you do the happy dance in the corner!
We like to buy our ground beef in bulk at Costco. We break it into family portion sizes, put them into Ziploc bags, and store them in the freezer. Then we can pull it out to use as needed for recipes like this Cheeseburger French Fry Casserole.
More Main Dish Recipes
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Pizza Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Rice Casserole
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef
Cheeseburger French Fry Casserole
- Baking dish
- Saute pan
- baking sheet
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- 20 ounce bag frozen crinkle cut French fries
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
FOR SERVING: all optional
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped onions
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
COOK FRENCH FRIES:
- Place the french fries on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until as crispy as you like.
- Brown the beef in a saute pan, then drain any excess water and grease.
- Add the soup and steak sauce, and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread the meat evenly on the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan.
- Add the crispy fries over the meat and top with cheese.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.